cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Match only showing me **bleep** cards (changed address recently)

Highlighted
New Contributor

Card Match only showing me **bleep** cards (changed address recently)

So, I lived at my previous address 12+ years, which overlaps with the time in which I started playing the credit card/reward/points/churning game. I started building my credit in 2018, and in that time until the present, I've progressed from EX 540 to EX 760. 

However, in Jan 2020, I moved, and ever since I did, Card Match (which previously only showed me mediocre cards like the lower tier of Capitol One offerings) only shows me totally **bleep**, low-prime cards like Credit One. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way around it? I also tried entering my old address into Card Match, but the same **bleep** low-prime card matches are all I get.

EX (Fico 8): 761 TU (Vantage 3): 770 EQ (Vantage 3): 762
Amex Platinum; Amex Gold; Amex Green; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Amex Everyday Preferred $5,000; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; Amex Delta Platinum $5,000; Amex Delta Business Gold $10,000; Amex Hilton Business $3,000; Bank of America Alaska Airlines card $3,200; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Oldest account: March 2018; Youngest account: Dec. 2019
Store cards: Amazon (Synchrony) $1,000
Goals: EX 780 by early 2021
Wanted cards: Chase Sapphire Reserve; Chase Ink Preferred; Chase Ink Cash; Chase World of Hyatt; Schwab Plat; Barclay Aviator Red; Citi Prestige
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Card Match only showing me **bleep** cards (changed address recently)

Where are you seeing these "card matches?" Are you referring to an app like Credit Karma or Experian? If so, don't put any weight behind those matches. They are purely for marketing purposes. 

Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

Where are you seeing these "card matches?" Are you referring to an app like Credit Karma or Experian? If so, don't put any weight behind those matches. They are purely for marketing purposes. 

www.creditcards.com 

Card Match tool

EX8: 737 | Oldest: 11 mo.
Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Don't put a lot of weight behind that tool. Like the rest, Credit Match is mostly marketing.

Love yourself, embrace yourself, be yourself-
Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
New Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

Don't put a lot of weight behind that tool. Like the rest, Credit Match is mostly marketing.

Yes, I realize that, but I'm just trying to understand the striking change in recommendations.

EX (Fico 8): 761 TU (Vantage 3): 770 EQ (Vantage 3): 762
Amex Platinum; Amex Gold; Amex Green; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Amex Everyday Preferred $5,000; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; Amex Delta Platinum $5,000; Amex Delta Business Gold $10,000; Amex Hilton Business $3,000; Bank of America Alaska Airlines card $3,200; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Oldest account: March 2018; Youngest account: Dec. 2019
Store cards: Amazon (Synchrony) $1,000
Goals: EX 780 by early 2021
Wanted cards: Chase Sapphire Reserve; Chase Ink Preferred; Chase Ink Cash; Chase World of Hyatt; Schwab Plat; Barclay Aviator Red; Citi Prestige
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

Credit Match actually gives legit prequals.

As for why they aren't showing right now, Chase has stopped participating for the time being so only AMEX and Credit One are listed as partners. Citi, BoA, Capital One, and Discover are also listed by name at the bottom of the page despite not showing up on the brand list at all. 

The fact is that prequals are hard to come by right now. Citi took down their prequals entirely, Capital One switched to only giving them for their subprime cards, etc.

Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Creditcards.com is most very definitely not a charity.

Credit cards are still being issued but issuers are pulling back hugely on marketing to third parties.

That may be one component.

Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Established Contributor

@TheRationalConsumer wrote:

Credit cards are still being issued but issuers are pulling back hugely on marketing to third parties.

This exactly. I always saw it as whatever issuer was paying the highest for advertising at the time would be the first to have their corresponding lineup of products displayed by the respective monitoring/matchup service. Example: AMEX budgets higher amounts for advertising in a given month, pays Credit Karma a higher premium for that period. Your approval odds go from showing "good" to now showing "excellent," despite no change in your actual profile. I agree with @Saeren  that this site is more legit at matching than sites like Credit Karma, because I see when I check card match a legit SP shows up on my reports, but they still pedal to the highest bidder. 

FICO 8 8/20: EX 725 EQ 731 TU 734
"Friends don't let friends earn 1% cash back."
Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Mega Contributor

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@TheRationalConsumer wrote:

This exactly. I always saw it as whatever issuer was paying the highest for advertising at the time would be the first to have their corresponding lineup of products displayed by the respective monitoring/matchup service. Example: AMEX budgets higher amounts for advertising in a given month, pays Credit Karma a higher premium for that period. Your approval odds go from showing "good" to now showing "excellent," despite no change in your actual profile. I agree with @Saeren  that this site is more legit at matching than sites like Credit Karma, because I see when I check card match a legit SP shows up on my reports, but they still pedal to the highest bidder. 

Also, at least historically, Card Match has had some better offers. e.g. the 100K MR for Plat, removing the need to spend hours trying to get it to come up incognito on the Amex site.

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Saeren wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

Credit Match actually gives legit prequals.

As for why they aren't showing right now, Chase has stopped participating for the time being so only AMEX and Credit One are listed as partners. Citi, BoA, Capital One, and Discover are also listed by name at the bottom of the page despite not showing up on the brand list at all. 

The fact is that prequals are hard to come by right now. Citi took down their prequals entirely, Capital One switched to only giving them for their subprime cards, etc.

Agree with this entirely. There's hardly anyone pushing prequals through Cardmatch in this current climate. I think the last time I checked it was back in April and decided it probably wouldn't be helpful for the foreseeable future. 

Scores: (6/27/20) EQ: 759, EX: 771, TU: 755
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.