Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards with US based customer servie

tag
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Cards with US based customer servie

Tried to log into cap one this morning and was prompted that my account was disabled and no reason was given. Called to a distant land and spoke to a person I could hardly understand, on a phone line with quality that sounded like it was from a different century, long story short, 45 minutes later account access restored and I was told I entered a wrong username and was locked out, whatever!! Anyway I recently called discover and had my call answered almost instantaneously and spoke to a person in the US and was done in less than two minutes, phenomenal service. So I am curious are there any other cards that have US based customer service? I don't call that often and it may not be a big deal to some, but when you need service, it's great to be able to understand and be understood when dealing with customer service, especially when it comes to credit and personal info. 

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: Cards with US based customer servie

I spoke to a Barclay customer service once recently and he spoke perfect English. Whether he was from US, Canada or whatever I understood him easily enough.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 2 of 39
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

AMEX I think is US based service. While I'm not sure if BofA gurantees US based service every time I called them I had American answering my call.

To be fair, just because the customer service is US based doesn't mean you will get good service. Barclay is US based, yet I had nothing but bad things to say about their customer service.

Cards issued by credit union should most of the time be US based.

Message 3 of 39
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@creditguy wrote:

Tried to log into cap one this morning and was prompted that my account was disabled and no reason was given. Called to a distant land and spoke to a person I could hardly understand, on a phone line with quality that sounded like it was from a different century, long story short, 45 minutes later account access restored and I was told I entered a wrong username and was locked out, whatever!! Anyway I recently called discover and had my call answered almost instantaneously and spoke to a person in the US and was done in less than two minutes, phenomenal service. So I am curious are there any other cards that have US based customer service? I don't call that often and it may not be a big deal to some, but when you need service, it's great to be able to understand and be understood when dealing with customer service, especially when it comes to credit and personal info. 

I am not sure about cap one , everytime i have called i have been sent to india. I think you can request being transferred to somebody in US, i am not sure if you can with cap one, you can with amex i believe. 

As far as which cards you will guarantee getting an US based CSR , discover is probably only one guaranteed. The last few times i called barclays i spoke with us based csr but i am not sure if thats due to it being an aviator card or not. Also CSP you are guaranteed to speak to us based csr, but other chase cards not so much.. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is most certainly NOT U.S. based. Majority of my experiences with calling Amex are similar to the OP thread.
When I called Citi using the regular customer service number it was not U.S. based but when I use the number specific to my card it is so might depend on the card. Im thankful.
Barclay has been 100% U.S. so far, haven't had any issues with bad service.
Discover as mentioned is 100% U.S. service.
Message 5 of 39
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

I think Cap One definitely also has US-based CSRs, but whether you get sent to the US ones or the foreign ones depends on what you're calling about (i.e., which department handles your issue). I'm fairly certain I talked to a US-based rep when I called to ask about changing the foreign travel advisory I had set.

P.S. I'm also guessing the general call quality for foreign-based reps is poor in general since they almost definitely use VOIP to cut costs.

Message 6 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one offers online chat, it's the easiest way to deal with capital one's customer service. Well that actually goes for any credit card company with chat service.
Message 7 of 39
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Capital one offers online chat, it's the easiest way to deal with capital one's customer service. Well that actually goes for any credit card company with chat service.

Plus, it offers you a way to save your interaction when you're done and then you have a clear record of who said what. I always print the chat log to a PDF file and keep it around just in case.

Message 8 of 39
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I am aware of capital ones chat and have used it with no issues, but like I said I was locked out of online access so that was not an option. Believe me I didn't call them because I like talking to them.
Message 9 of 39
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Discover is US based and excellent. US Bank has similarly been pretty good.

Amex is not US based....garbled, foreign CSRs who don't understand me.

Capital One....I've had people who speak perfect English answer before, but that doesn't mean they were able to help me!

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.