Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Care Credit Questions

tag
skigirl916
Established Contributor

Care Credit Questions

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to help my mom find a way to pay for upcoming dental work ($$$). I used Care Credit over 15 years ago, but I'm sure things have changed, so I'm looking for more up-to-date info.

Back in 2005, my Care Credit account wasn't a revolving line, but a set financed amount. But now on MyFico I see CLIs, so it appears to be a revolving line now? Is that true?

Do you need to have a doctor's bill/estimate in order to apply? Or can you just apply and go for it, and see what they offer? The dental work she chooses will be dependent on how much she can finance.

Is there an income requirement? And if so, do they allow co-borrowers? 

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Care Credit Questions

@skigirl916     I'm sorry I do not know the exact answers you are looking for but I can tell you that when I went to my dentist they are offering the Care Credit Card (at their office) to apply and the way the lady explained it to me is that you can call and apply and explain the amount you need and for what and you would then make payments (if accepted or they will counter).     I look forward to other replies as I want to get this card down the road as well Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 9
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Coincidentally I am on the same boat. I am technically gardening but am considering getting some work done and the office offers Care Credit...which still makes me cringe everytime I read that name. But the financing options could make something out of reach financially, in my reach.

Besides OP's question, I keep reading about Fixed Monthly Payments. I assume I could still make extra payments, right? I don't want to be locked to a payment that doesn't cover the entire amount or some weird shenanigans like that.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 3 of 9
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

I was in a similar situation last February, needing several teeth capped/crowned. My dentist had a Care Credit brochure on the counter so I decided to apply, figuring I would use the promo plan that allowed zero interest if paid within 12 months. I was hoping for a decent credit limit so I could keep utilization low.

I was approved for $4300. My quote for the first two procedures was about $2200 so I called Care Credit and asked for a larger SL explaining that I wanted to keep utilization less than 50%. My request was denied.

My DH and I are retired on a (decent) fixed income so I also needed my monthly payments on the promo to work in our budget.

I made the decision to get one tooth done at a time and had the work done in May/June. The dentist cut me a break and this first crown came in just under $1k. The billing clerk contacted Care Credit and set up a promo plan for 12 months. I decided to pay $125 a month so my last payment will be made this month (with a $40 amount which I will pay immediately after the last auto payment). 

I've already scheduled the next crown and will use another Care Credit promo plan.  I don't want to chance overlapping promo plans because I've had some confusion (now resolved) with Care Credit billing. When they first set up the promo plan it was done incorrectly and monthly interest would have incurred. I was monitoring the app because I wanted to set up auto pay so noticed the mistake. Called the dentist and his clerk called Care Credit. She said that was the first problem she's had with Care Credit over many years using them.

Another glitch happened last fall when Care Credit pulled a payment two weeks early, then refunded it, then pulled again all in the same day. Luckily there was enough money in my account to cover the early autopayment. It took a few weeks to get that resolved. Apparently it was a bank wide problem that happened to many customers whose auto payments hit on the 26th. I was miffed and worried but it taught me it's safer to push auto payments instead of having creditor pull them.

The last thing I want to add is regarding credit limit increases. In late November I hit the link for a credit limit increase for the first time and asked for $10,000. Immediately granted. In December I asked for another $5k as well as in January. Success both times. So now my CL is $20,000. This is more than I can possibly use on dental work but does help my utilization. Immensely. 

I poked the Synchrony bear on my other card with them (Lowes) also successfully about the same time btw. I have no plan to ask again for a long time. Very glad to have the spending limit to get all my dental work done (and a kitchen sink)!

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 4 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@skigirl916 wrote:

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to help my mom find a way to pay for upcoming dental work ($$$). I used Care Credit over 15 years ago, but I'm sure things have changed, so I'm looking for more up-to-date info.

Back in 2005, my Care Credit account wasn't a revolving line, but a set financed amount. But now on MyFico I see CLIs, so it appears to be a revolving line now? Is that true?

Do you need to have a doctor's bill/estimate in order to apply? Or can you just apply and go for it, and see what they offer? The dental work she chooses will be dependent on how much she can finance.

Thanks! 

I applied for my CareCredit account online, my dentist wasn't involved with the application process at all.  It is a revolving account.

It's been a few years and the app has changed, but for my application I was able to put how much I expected my procedure to be (dental in my case as well). 

At one time whatever they approved you for was it, you couldn't get a CLI right away.  Later on, it was reported that had changed, then there were reports that it had changed back (no immediate CLI).  With COVID things are a bit crazy everywhere, so I'm not really sure what their current policy is on that.  If you're in doubt, you might consider applying sooner rather than later to get the clock started so you'll have time to request a CLI if needed. (Possibly others will have more recent data points on this.)

As for the promos, CareCredit makes them available to the provider to offer to their patients (promos cost the provider $$$), so not all providers will offer them and they can vary from place to place.  My dentist office uses a web portal to process the sale, and from there the office manager is able to select which promo to apply to the transaction (she always asks me which I want).  You can prepay, there's no penalty.  Just remember to have it PIF before the deadline, since the interest is deferred if not PIF (they hit you with the back-interest all at once).

From the website: 

With promotions on qualifying purchases at enrolled provider locations of $200 or more, interest (at the rate of 26.99% for new accounts) will be charged to your account from the purchase date if the promotional purchase is not paid in full within the promotional period. Minimum monthly payments are required; however, paying the minimum monthly payment may not pay off your purchase by the end of the promotional period.

When I was carrying a promo balance I wouldn't use the account for anything else until it was PIF to keep things simple.  Others have managed to do both, with varying results.

I don't know about having a joint account holder (again, it's been a while).  I can share that if you're approved they usually offer to give you the account number immediately (I got mine over the phone).  Also, your provider can look it up for you if you don't have your card for whatever reason.

I know this didn't answer all your questions, but hopfully this will help a bit and others will be able to provide more info!

Message 5 of 9
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

@skigirl916 wrote:

Hey everyone!

Thanks! 

I have had my carecredit since 2006 and mine was a revolving line, I think income is not a lot as a friend that does not make much was approved it was small line I think $1500 loc. You need to spend $200 to get 0% for 6, 12, 18, 24 mounts. I would check their website and it will get you see what they payments if you spend x dollars.

Message 6 of 9
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

Care Credit is under the Synchrony Bank umbrella. It's a normal revolving line anyone can apply for, and they do give CLI's I just received one not long ago (during covid).

8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My SO applied for CareCredit when he had major dental work in 8/2020 of $7k. I didnt want to wipe out newly built savings, so app'd online. 602 TU F8 is all we knew since you cannot just find out what your TU VS 4.0 is (unless you have other sync credit products).

He was instantly approved for $1k. A drop in the bucket compared to the $7k. Recon was no-go and CLI request was no-go.

Savings got depleted a bit and he did use the whole $1k and got 18-mo, 0% promo at his dentist. Always make sure to double check on the CareCredit website to see if your provider accepts CareCredit or it will not do much for you - you can also just call your provider and ask. We had this all figured out before the app. Each provider has different promo lenghts/amount requirements, so I would ask.

TU VS 4.0 ended up being 628 at time of app.

3 months later got 3 x CLI to $3k - TU VS 634

3 months later got another 3 x CLI to $9k - TU VS 658

So, 6 months from account opening, he is at 9 x the original SL.

He does put 1 prescription on the card every month and pays it off every month in addition to the promo to show further use of the card. CLIs may or may not have anything to do with that. 

Income was mine which he has unfettered access to and is on bank account - allowed according to app. I used what is on my tax returns, instead of what I actually make, which is well over twice that (legit disclaimer so I don't get a keyboard spanking). There has to be some form of money available to DM in order to get any type of credit. 

I believe you may be able to have a co-signer, if needed, if I remember the app correctly.

If the SL is low, scores are low, etc. I would try to get the card well in advance of need to grow it reasonably quick. I know one doesnt usually know they need it until they do, but it is a bit easier if you get stuck with a low SL to grow it.

I have seen slightly better scores than my SO's get much higher SLs.

You can have more than 1 promo going at a time, too.

It is not a loan and you are not locked in to any sort of set payment. The minimum required payment is just like any CCs, it will not cover the full balance by the end of the promo - so plan accordingly! Otherwise if there is any promo balance left after the promo ends, you get back charged intrest on the entire promo amount from the beginning on the promo.

For ex: SO has 18- month promo on $1k, minimum payment of $29. That would take 35 months to pay off. So nearly double the minimum payments would be required to pay it off in time.

There is a section in the online account/on the statement that will constantly tell you/have available the promo end date.

Message 8 of 9
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Ds got the card, around 5k iirc and one month later added his dw as an au.  She then financed dental work without a problem, used the promotional financing with lower interest, not deferred (that's how this company she used does theirs). Ds then asked for another cli online via chat and they bumped it to 8k or somewhere around that. Btw, in that instance the CSR would not let him claim her income, idk why.

His dw made extra pymts. to finish the promotion a little early. A few months later he asked for a third cli to 10k cl and they granted to 11k cl.

There's a lot of flexibility but it does depend on who you use for dental, vet, other and how they do their terms as well.  (deferred/lower interest/amt. of months)

As an AU you get the same benefits as the applicant. Good Luck!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.