Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Rewards Replacement Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cash Rewards Replacement Card

@Anonymous wrote:

plunged your number here https://www.thepointcalculator.com/Cash/Citi/Citi-Double-Cash-Card

I found you can do better with wf propel (with wf visa, just have it, no need to use it), alliant visa, freedom unlimited (with CSR, just have it, not need to use it).

You can obviously do even better if you open to using multiple cards.

I will research and try not to rely too much on being spoon fed, but I am not sure I understand... having cards that you don't use somehow combine to better rewards?

I did just apply for the Alliant Visa.  I guess I need to stagger applications, but if somehow holding other cards that I don't use it beneficial I am interested in how that works.

I currently hold a Discover More card (from 2001), a Chase Freedom (from 2010, just because I would sometimes run into Discover not being a payment option), and then most recently (late 2017) a Citi Double Cash.  Also a few store only Synchrony accounts (Amazon, Sam Ash, and Google).

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

plunged your number here https://www.thepointcalculator.com/Cash/Citi/Citi-Double-Cash-Card

I found you can do better with wf propel (with wf visa, just have it, no need to use it), alliant visa, freedom unlimited (with CSR, just have it, not need to use it).

I will research and try not to rely too much on being spoon fed, but I am not sure I understand... having cards that you don't use somehow combine to better rewards?

I did just apply for the Alliant Visa.  I guess I need to stagger applications, but if somehow holding other cards that I don't use it beneficial I am interested in how that works.

I currently hold a Discover More card (from 2001), a Chase Freedom (from 2010, just because I would sometimes run into Discover not being a payment option), and then most recently (late 2017) a Citi Double Cash.  Also a few store only Synchrony accounts (Amazon, Sam Ash, and Google).

Holding miltiples like CF/ CFU / CSP/R results in better redemption rates for UR points.  If you have the base cards for earning 1.5% or 5% categories you get a "bonus multiplier" by holding CSP/CSR cards when redeeming them for Travel.  Instead of say 1.5% it boosts to 2.25% when moving points over the cash value assigned at 1cpp.

Amex MR's are similar in the value increasing with certain cards adding a "boost" to their value when moving them around to partners.

As to your current holdings like Disco More it might be worth a phone call and changing it to an IT or Miles for better earnings.  IT has a 1% / 5% category option and Miles offers a 1.5% earn rate.

Alliant is a good earn for the first year but, then it trails off and IIRC it has an AF for the card that makes it harder to get value outside of the first year.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Holding miltiples like CF/ CFU / CSP/R results in better redemption rates for UR points.  If you have the base cards for earning 1.5% or 5% categories you get a "bonus multiplier" by holding CSP/CSR cards when redeeming them for Travel.  Instead of say 1.5% it boosts to 2.25% when moving points over the cash value assigned at 1cpp.

Amex MR's are similar in the value increasing with certain cards adding a "boost" to their value when moving them around to partners.

As to your current holdings like Disco More it might be worth a phone call and changing it to an IT or Miles for better earnings.  IT has a 1% / 5% category option and Miles offers a 1.5% earn rate.

Alliant is a good earn for the first year but, then it trails off and IIRC it has an AF for the card that makes it harder to get value outside of the first year.

I gotcha... thanks a ton for breaking it down for me.  So the Alliant thing seemed like a good step forward in the "one card" vein just since at 40k (or even 30k) it is enough of a bump over the Citi DC card to cover the AF.  Plus I get the removed (by Citi / MC) peace of mind back with the extended warranty and some other benefits along those lines.

I had looked into the Discover conversion at one point, but they said I get the same 1%/5% thing (I do enable those categories quarterly just since I do put one or two charges on the card per month just for activity) and I wouldn't be eligible for the first year match (since it's for new accounts only).

I guess after the first year, if I feel as though we can make a multi-card transition, I'll need to address the Alliant AF.  Travel benefits are always a little weird for me... because we don't travel a lot.  I am in a workaholic part of my life, I guess... so really only travel for work or weekend getaways with my wife to one of two company homes I have access to that are both within driving distance.

This forum is really helpful... you guys are great.  Thanks.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, there's a lot of pro/con evaluating to be done to find the right match.  That's how so many of us eventually end up with a fistful of cards and some of them only have a specific use like US Bank Cash+ is a good utility card for 5% earnings each month but, the benefits outside of that spend are meager at best and it has an FTF that can be cumbersome if you use e-bay at all w/ sellers that have foreign resgistrations on their paypal accounts.  Amex BCP 6% on groceries / streaming services serves a purpose.  Gas cards for 5% back w/ Sam's Club or Duck's Unlimited.  

The list goes on and on and on when it comes to category use.  Sticking to a single card or rewards system concentrates the efforts but, at the same time diminishes things as well on a transaction level.  Since you don't travel much it's less of a focus per se of concentrating on a particular point system whether UR's w/ Chase, MR's w/ Amex, or TY points w/ Citi since you're aim seems to be cash back.

Being a wokaholic does lead to less travel unless you're in a position that requires travel. I had one a few years back where I was flying out weekly for different locations and racked up plenty of FF points with airlines but, they've been banked for awhile now because I don't like to travel after that much travel.  There are some easy ways to knock out a ton of points if you do decide to travel by applying for something specific like Amex Platinum and hit the $5K spend for 75K-100K in points for a trip.  Once you're in then it's reasonable to keep on earning points even if not with the original card that started things off.

Bonus collecitng can be fun if you can manage all of the rules and loopholes to collecting them.  Getting some $$$ from the banks for very little effort feels good as well.

Message 14 of 15
Creditsen
Regular Contributor

I had the Chase Sapphire as the only cashback card I used for a long time and I've been very happy with Chase and the bonus that card gave for dining and entertainment and travel! I just got the Capital One Savor One and they approved me for a much higher CL and I'm excited to try the 3% spending on dining and entertainment.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.