Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash + thought

tag
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Cash + thought

Why didn't US Bank just change the bill pay to a 2% category?  Or just change the categories that they removed to 2%?  Wouldn't that have been a good compromise?

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Cash + thought

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

Why didn't US Bank just change the bill pay to a 2% category?  Or just change the categories that they removed to 2%?  Wouldn't that have been a good compromise?

it would've been a nice idea

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 7
nishant1
New Contributor

There are no credit cards today which allow cash back on bill payment categories like insurance payments which Cash + was allowing.

For a customer assuming he pays $100 on home insurance and $150 on car insurance or $250 total per month, US bank would lose $3.75 per customer per month which would add to the loss. Even by changing to 2%, it would reduce loss but not eliminate it.

The only way they would have kept to 2% if the competition credit cards also allowed 2% cash back on such bill payment. In absence of a competition on this category, possibly the bank had no reason to keep it.

Message 3 of 7
severine
Contributor

UGH I'm so annoyed about this because this 5% on the bill payment was the only reason I got this card! I'll wait and see if it comes back and if it doesn't I might just SD this card permanentlySmiley Sad

Amex PR Gold NPSL | Amex BCP 16.5k| Amex Delta Gold Skymiles 14.9k | Amex BSP 5k | Discover 12.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred 11.9k | Chase Freedom 12k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 12k | US Bank Cash + Visa 13k | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa 9.5k | M and T Bank Visa 10.9k | FICO TU 784 EQ 768 EX 784
Message 4 of 7
andre181
Established Contributor

Yeah, loosing bill pay was a big bummer.

Maybe we will get lucky and it will come back once a year or something. Then we could pay insurance for the whole year during that quarter. That would be better than nothing.

I just wish they had left the categories alone and put a $1500 quarterly cap on the 5%. That would have been more than fine.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 5 of 7
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@nishant1 wrote:

There are no credit cards today which allow cash back on bill payment categories like insurance payments which Cash + was allowing.

For a customer assuming he pays $100 on home insurance and $150 on car insurance or $250 total per month, US bank would lose $3.75 per customer per month which would add to the loss. Even by changing to 2%, it would reduce loss but not eliminate it.

The only way they would have kept to 2% if the competition credit cards also allowed 2% cash back on such bill payment. In absence of a competition on this category, possibly the bank had no reason to keep it.

Yes there is:  Barclays Rewards MasterCard is 2% cash back.  Not 5%, but better than 0%.

Message 6 of 7
darkpearl
Regular Contributor

I was originally going to apply for the Barclay's bill pay card before Cash+ came out. 2% isn't that much more than my general 1.5% cards so it's not worth it now (nor then which is why I had not applied). I am taking comfort in the fact that I am moving in June and can put department stores and electronics on this quarter to get some cash back on big ticket items we are buying.

ALSO have you all checked out the books category? This would be a great card for a parent with a student in college - books includes textbooks!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.