Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cashback Strategy

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Cashback Strategy

I listed my strategy for cashback on the thread with my recent approvals,  but I thought I would also list it here and see if anyone has any future suggestions for me to maximize my rewards.  The only thing I can possibly think of is the Chase Freedom for an additional catagory card, but I'm not really sure I need it with my the catagories I have covered already.

I don't travel much and when I do it is usually by car, so I am not looking at travel cards just cashback at this time. 

Gas - 5% on Ducks Unlimited

Utilities and Cell Phone - 5% on Cash+

Amazon Purchases - 5% on Chase Amazon Prime Visa

Dining - 4% on Uber

Travel; -  3% on Uber

Grocery - 3% on BCE, most of my grocery spend is at walmart which dosen't code as grocery so BCP wouldn't be worth the AF. 

Rotating Catagories - 5% on Discover

General Spend - 2% on Citi Dc

Kids are au on Cap One QS so I get 1.5% back on their usage otherwise QS is sock drawered.

I will not be under 5/24 until 2/20.

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Cashback Strategy

@MakingProgress wrote:

I listed my strategy for cashback on the thread with my recent approvals,  but I thought I would also list it here and see if anyone has any future suggestions for me to maximize my rewards.  The only thing I can possibly think of is the Chase Freedom for an additional catagory card, but I'm not really sure I need it with my the catagories I have covered already.

I don't travel much and when I do it is usually by car, so I am not looking at travel cards just cashback at this time. 

Gas - 5% on Ducks Unlimited

Utilities and Cell Phone - 5% on Cash+

Amazon Purchases - 5% on Chase Amazon Prime Visa

Dining - 4% on Uber

Travel; -  3% on Uber

Grocery - 3% on BCE, most of my grocery spend is at walmart which dosen't code as grocery so BCP wouldn't be worth the AF. 

Rotating Catagories - 5% on Discover

General Spend - 2% on Citi Dc

Kids are au on Cap One QS so I get 1.5% back on their usage otherwise QS is sock drawered.

I will not be under 5/24 until 2/20.

Add the Paypal MC and Business debit, to get 3% on stuff not covered elsewhere.    And you could add other 5% rotators, Freedom, DIvidend and the CU one.  (OK, not Freedom as 5/24)

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought I was the only one!

I get out a marker, and write on the front of the cards what I use them for. Discover I use for anything I do not use others for.

Gas: CITI American Airlines 2X-$1.00 on fuel.

Eating Out: Citi

Grocery: AMEX

I try to only use a few cards.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a note on Walmart grocery - if the Walmart store in your area offers grocery pick-up, that codes as ‘grocery’ for AMEX.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even though WMT is not coded as grocery, many local stores can be used for online walmart grocery purchase, which is coded as grocery.

I use Amex Gold for grocery/dining, and Propel for travel.

Message 5 of 19
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I get out a marker, and write on the front of the cards what I use them for. Discover I use for anything I do not use others for.

Which Citi and Amex cards, what are rewards, and is it cash back or points?  I am not sure I unerstand the 2X-$1.00 on fuel, what do you mean  by that?

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve also got to mention the Target store card for 5% off, at the register, if you shop there. Personally, I didn’t realize how much was spent there until I actually looked at it specifically. At that point, it made no sense to pass on that 5% savings.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MakingProgress wrote:

Looks like you've about covered it! You could squeeze out a few more with Chase Freedom. The downside to that is that you are spreading your rewards out thinner by adding more cards. Is that worth it?

I'd say roll with this for a while and see how it goes.

Message 8 of 19
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just a note on Walmart grocery - if the Walmart store in your area offers grocery pick-up, that codes as ‘grocery’ for AMEX.

I am aware that pickup codes as grocery for Amex, but pickup is not my style.  I don't want walmart substituting out of stock items for me.   I want to make the decision of what or if I substitute. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Message 9 of 19
Stribe
Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Which Citi and Amex cards, what are rewards, and is it cash back or points?  I am not sure I unerstand the 2X-$1.00 on fuel, what do you mean  by that?

The Citi AAdvantage Card (American Airlines) gives you 2 miles for every dollar on fuel

5/25/2022

Amex BCE $17,4k | Apple Card $7k | Chase Amazon $11k | Chase Ink Cash Business $30,4k | Citi AAdvantage $7,5k | Citi Costco Business $15k | Discover It $15,4k | PayPal $15k | Synch Amazon $10k | Target RC MC $9k | US Bank Cash+ $3k
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.