cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Categories Explained ....Help please lol (Discover IT)

tag
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Categories Explained ....Help please lol (Discover IT)

I'm reading up on Discover IT (shame on me I know lol)   But it has Rotating Categories and I see people mentioning Q3/Q4 etc so do you only pick which Quarter would benefit you most and you get the points/cash on that unless you don't hit your max then you can use on Q4 orrrrrrrr someone please explain to me how that works because I see you have to Add it?!     But on my Amex and Chase card, Amex I just see something that works for what I plan on buying and add that specific deal and Chase just automatically does it for me it seems?!   Unless I'm not doing it proper on there LOL.     But I just need a Lame-mans Break Down so I can get a better understanding pretty please :3

51 REPLIES 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Categories Explained ....Help please lol (Discover IT)

You activate the offer once before you spend for the quarter.

If you spend in that category for that quarter you get 5% cash back instead of lower normal rate.

You get the increased spending on each quarter's spending on up to $1,500 per quarter; unused spending does not roll over.

Message 2 of 52
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Discover's categories are here: https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/cashback-calendar.html

When you log into your account, on the lower left side of the screen there is an option to activate each quarter.  You can earn 5% back in each quarter for up to $1500 in purchases on those categories.  You can get the 5% on up to $1500 in each quarter; there is no rollover if you do not hit the cap.

For Chase Offers, you need to add the offer to that specific card just as you are doing with with Amex Offers.

Message 3 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the Discover Card, each quarter features a new bonus catagory in which Discover will pay out 5% cash back on those specific catagories-provided that you sign up for them. These catagories are determined by Discover themselves; but year-to-year there are very few changes: Groceries Q1; Gas Q2, Restaurants Q3 and Amazon Q4. Typically, there may be an additional catagory thrown in such as Paypal with Q3s restaurants, but those are the main ones. Keep in mind, that can change at Discover's discretion. You may earn 5% up to $1,500 in spend on the bonus catagory (so $1,500 * 0.05 = $75 per quarter). The standard 1% cashback earned on non catagory spend is unlimited. 

You will need to activate the bonus 5% catagory each quarter in order to participate in these catagories. This is typically done online through your account management. 

You mention "deals" with both Chase and Amex. Those are most likely small percentage, single-use promotions such as Amex Deals. Either way, you still need to add those to your card before they are redeemable. Note that this is NOT what the Discover Cashback Bonus is. The Discover Cashback Bonus is built into the card (1% cash back on all purchases is standard-but you will have to sign up each quarter for the bonus 5% catagory). 

To perhaps complicate things, your first year of Discover Cashback Bonus will be doubled. This I believe is done in a lump sum at the end of the year. 

Also, I hate to be that guy...but it is spelled layman. 

Message 4 of 52
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I seriously hate the activations. They're hoping you forget. That's not good business in my eyes.

Message 5 of 52
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Ok Ty All I think that helps better explain it and @Brian_Earl_Spilner  LOL that is my worries that I would forget to add the Category lol

Message 6 of 52
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I seriously hate the activations. They're hoping you forget. That's not good business in my eyes.

If someone has a Discover and doesnt realize what rewards structure their card has thats on that person for not paying attention or  understanding the card they applied for, thats not on Discover. Discover routinely sends out emails with reminders to activate ones Reward categories and its on their homepage where one can check info on rewards and categories. Seems like good business to me.

Message 7 of 52
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit  Oh that's really nice of them Smiley Happy     I also like that they let you know if it is going to be a HP vs SP to me that is KUDOS points to them Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 52
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit  Oh that's really nice of them Smiley Happy     I also like that they let you know if it is going to be a HP vs SP to me that is KUDOS points to them Smiley Very Happy

Yes @Girlzilla88  Imho, Discover in transparent   in  things like rewards and cli requests. Now how they offer cli and to whom, how much, is their best kept secret.  Covid is most likely going to change how they lend  so most likely our perceptions of them from last year wont be the same now. Im not even requesting cli like before not only due to my personal situation but from what we've  seen and read  post covid.  Good luck with your DiscoSmiley Happy 

Message 9 of 52
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit     I see ....well hopefully (if I can/do) they will be kind to me LOL.     I want to see how things go with my NF CLI and second card before I even seriously consider D-IT but I do like to do a lot more digging now to be more prepared (unlike before when I thought I knew then got hit with so many NO SOUP FOR YOU) LMAO

Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.