cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase 5/24 on co-branded cards soon?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase 5/24 on co-branded cards soon?

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I just don't see this happening with co-branded cards as the bonus isn't coming out of Chase's pocket, it is coming out of the partners pockets.  Also as stated partners would have the option to probably seek a different lender if this impacted them their bottom line to much as many other lenders out there willing to team up with say Marriott or United, etc as Chase has the lion share of the good partnerships now.  Chase shouldn't care about co-branded cards and bonuses.

edit: I can understand the business card following the 24x7 rule of the personal card and read of this happening come March..   See if it happens though

Can you provide evidence to support the statement I've bolded? My previous research has suggested that Chase pays for the bonus (as well as regular rewards) by purchasing points from the hotel/airline. Sure, the travel partner sells the points at a low price to the issuer, but they cost the hotel/airline so little (especially when the hotel/airline limits award availability).

Travel partners benefit from customer loyalty. If I get a Chase United card, meet minimum spend, use the bonus and perks, and then close the card and go back to American and Delta...is United really going to be irritated with Chase for losing my business? Brand-loyal customers generally don't open a huge number of cards - that's more of a habit of hackers/mile geeks (who are frequently unprofitable).

Message 11 of 65
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I just don't see this happening with co-branded cards as the bonus isn't coming out of Chase's pocket, it is coming out of the partners pockets.  Also as stated partners would have the option to probably seek a different lender if this impacted them their bottom line to much as many other lenders out there willing to team up with say Marriott or United, etc as Chase has the lion share of the good partnerships now.  Chase shouldn't care about co-branded cards and bonuses.

edit: I can understand the business card following the 24x7 rule of the personal card and read of this happening come March..   See if it happens though

Can you provide evidence to support the statement I've bolded? My previous research has suggested that Chase pays for the bonus (as well as regular rewards) by purchasing points from the hotel/airline. Sure, the travel partner sells the points at a low price to the issuer, but they cost the hotel/airline so little (especially when the hotel/airline limits award availability).

Travel partners benefit from customer loyalty. If I get a Chase United card, meet minimum spend, use the bonus and perks, and then close the card and go back to American and Delta...is United really going to be irritated with Chase for losing my business? Brand-loyal customers generally don't open a huge number of cards - that's more of a habit of hackers/mile geeks (who are frequently unprofitable).

+1 Airlines make a nice profit by selling miles to banks to use in their credit card offers. It is outlined in their pubic financial filings. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 65
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

always assumed..  Back at you can you provide proof chase pays them for intial sign-up promo?  Doubtul..  I just assumed, assuming is a bad thing I know, but neither of us know for sure, just seemed to make sense.

I am just referring to the sign-up offer, not on-going rewards for spend in which chase buys bulks of them in theory at discounted prices being miles fo rewards and i assume that portion would be on chases back and hoping to make money off people carrying balances, AF, etc.

Message 13 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ritz.  140k.  

AARP.  $200.

United 50k and No AF Club.

ALL THE CARDS.

Like CC said, wouldn't their partners snub the idea?

Is the AARP $200 bonus still live?

Message 14 of 65
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ritz.  140k.  

AARP.  $200.

ALL THE CARDS.

yep a quick goole search will reveal it.. not sure if i cant post link as might be through third party sight, but alive and kicking 

Message 15 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Hopefully this isnt true.. If so I suspect they are going to lose some of their partners to other issuers as the partners have a say as well or you would hope so.

Won't happen.  Their partners like profitable relationships too.  Someone with 3-4 cards where Chase cards are frequently used are more profitable than someone with 20+ cards where the Chase cards are barely touched.  I can only see this sort of rule happening with other credit card lenders once they see the kind of success Chase is having. 

Message 16 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ritz.  140k.  

AARP.  $200.

ALL THE CARDS.

yep a quick goole search will reveal it.. not sure if i cant post link as might be through third party sight, but alive and kicking 

Found it! Thanks. Of course now I'm getting the itch again. If Chase only pulled EX and didn't double me up with EQ, I'd probably already be filling out the app. Smiley LOL

Message 17 of 65
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ritz.  140k.  

AARP.  $200.

ALL THE CARDS.

Found it! Thanks. Of course now I'm getting the itch again. If Chase only pulled EX and didn't double me up with EQ, I'd probably already be filling out the app. Smiley LOL

Yes they are the sole reason my EQ is in the double digits well that and my application fingerSmiley Happy.. They love Equifax for me

Message 18 of 65
red259
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

always assumed..  Back at you can you provide proof chase pays them for intial sign-up promo?  Doubtul..  I just assumed, assuming is a bad thing I know, but neither of us know for sure, just seemed to make sense.

I am just referring to the sign-up offer, not on-going rewards for spend in which chase buys bulks of them in theory at discounted prices being miles fo rewards and i assume that portion would be on chases back and hoping to make money off people carrying balances, AF, etc.

Just do an internet search and look for the public financial filings of airlines with credit card deals. The airline would not be fronting the miles for signup bonus. They sell them to banks. It is a significant source of income for them. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 19 of 65
lamplight2012
Frequent Contributor

What does 5/24 mean?

Experian: 693 | Transunion: 700 | Equifax: 690 | Utilization 4 %

EX: 5 | TU: 8 | EQ: 7
Message 20 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.