Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Added Benefit: Shell Gold Status for all of 2019

tag
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

Chase Added Benefit: Shell Gold Status for all of 2019

I received an email from Chase this morning stating that they've added a benefit of complimentry Gold Status with Shell's loyalty program which will start at 5c savings per gallon.

Further reading looks like Chase Debit card holders are who received the offer. However, I was able to link my CSR and there were options for many other CCs

Selection_001.pngSelection_002.png

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
grower1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Added Benefit: Shell Gold Status for all of 2019

I also received this email, just have not had time to review it yet. 

Message 2 of 11
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@grower1 wrote:

I also received this email, just have not had time to review it yet. 

So I just went thru most of it.

You get 5c/gal off automatically.

To get the other rewards for dining/travel/shopping you have to shop thru their portal (looks like Priceline runs their travel portal). Dining must be used at one of their participating vendors.

I may not put THAT much time into it at least its a free 5c/gal I guess.

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 3 of 11
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Shell stations near me are EXPENSIVE! 5 cents/gallon off isn't going to be enough to put them within 50 cents/gallon of Exxon/Mobil or 76 near me. Plus I use Exxon/Mobils own rewards card for 1% back on top of using Blue Cash or AAA Rewards. My Amex Simply Cash + also gets me 5 cents/gallon off at Chevron. Never saw it advertised, but when I use that card there, the pump puts a message up to "Wait while we adjust your prices" and it lowers the price.

Message 4 of 11
digitek
Established Contributor

Kind of cool, better than nothing I guess lol.  If it was $3 a gallon that would be about 1.6% off, if you add that to CSR 1.5% cashback you're getting a little over 3% off, for Freedom category quarters and CSR it would be ~9% off.

Someone mentioned that Shell had something setup with Chase Pay if I remember and that seems to be a popular Freedom category, I might need to try this out.

Thanks for the heads up.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@digitek wrote:

Someone mentioned that Shell had something setup with Chase Pay if I remember and that seems to be a popular Freedom category, I might need to try this out.

My Freedom is currently linked to Chase Pay which ends at the end of December for the 5%.  At the pump, just type what pump number you are at and Chase will give you a 3 digit code to enter on the keypad.  It is so quick and simple I love it.  It is quite amazing though the number of Shell employees that don't realize that they take Chase Pay.  They have to use the manual scanner if you buy something inside. 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shell is also WAY overpriced in my area as well... at least $0.50 more per gallon than the other major gas stations.  Good benefit for those loyal to Shell though!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The email perked my interest at first, then when I saw it was for a debit card and neither of my Chase CCs I lost interest.  I have never used my Chase debit card (not once) and never intend to.

Message 8 of 11
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I just use Shells loyalty rewards program to get the same discount combined with a 5% CB CC. Shell stations are cheaper in my area.
Message 9 of 11
iced
Valued Contributor

@CBartowski wrote:

I received an email from Chase this morning stating that they've added a benefit of complimentry Gold Status with Shell's loyalty program which will start at 5c savings per gallon.

Further reading looks like Chase Debit card holders are who received the offer. However, I was able to link my CSR and there were options for many other CCs

Selection_001.pngSelection_002.png

FWIW, this has been going around about a year now. You are correct in that once you sign up for it, it's actually independent of a particular card, and you can use it even if you don't swipe a Chase card at the pump.

Like others have said though, it's really a non-benefit benefit as Shell consistently is at least 5 cents per gallon higher than other stations, so it's really just making them competitive again.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.