Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon Prime and family accounts

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Chase Amazon Prime and family accounts

My wife and I each have an Amazon account and we share Prime.  The only card showing in her account is the Chase Amazon Prime card that she is an AU on.   She just used that account to apply for her own card, and that (after issues with unfreezing EX) seemed to work, and a $200 gift card was deposited into her account.   My question is if we make her new card the default on the her account, we she get 5% on her new card while I get 5% on mine, all for the price of one prime?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase Amazon Prime and family accounts

Yes 

Message 2 of 8
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

My wife just got her Amazon Prime Visa.  Prior to that she was AU on mine, once her card got approved and it was automatically loaded into our prime account, my Amazon Prime Visa was reduced to 3% rewards for Amazon purchases.  They only way it goes back to 5% is if my wife removes her card from our account, or I go to my own prime account

What's in my wallet?
NFCU Flagship - 80k | AmEx Delta Reserve - $70k | Citi AA Executive - $37k | AmEx Delta Reserve Biz - 60k | Citi AA Biz - 20k
Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MarkintheHV wrote:

My wife just got her Amazon Prime Visa.  Prior to that she was AU on mine, once her card got approved and it was automatically loaded into our prime account, my Amazon Prime Visa was reduced to 3% rewards for Amazon purchases.  They only way it goes back to 5% is if my wife removes her card from our account, or I go to my own prime account

Did you each have an Amazon account sharing Prime?  If you had just one account, and the default card swapped to the new one, that is what I would expect.

Message 4 of 8
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

It is flexible.

We have one family shared Prime account under me.  I have my own specific payment profile (Sync Prime and Chase Prime)  and she has her Discover and her own Chase Prime for independent 5% rewards.

Message 5 of 8
FICO-Quest
Valued Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

My wife and I each have an Amazon account and we share Prime.  The only card showing in her account is the Chase Amazon Prime card that she is an AU on.   She just used that account to apply for her own card, and that (after issues with unfreezing EX) seemed to work, and a $200 gift card was deposited into her account.   My question is if we make her new card the default on the her account, we she get 5% on her new card while I get 5% on mine, all for the price of one prime?

I just had this happen with a friend and his wife:  While you can have multiple Chase Amazon cards attached to a single Prime account - e.g., different cards for husband and wife - only 1-card per Prime account can receive the 5% rewards on Amazon/Whole Foods.  The other Chase Amazon card becomes the non-Prime (blue card) version and receives the 3% back at Amazon/Whole Foods.  When there are 2 different cards/accounts issued for 1-Prime account, the most recent card attached to the Prime account as the preferred form of payment is the ONE card that receives the 5% back.  It's in the cardmember agreement.

Marcus/GM Rewards 02/24 - $6k
Citi CC 10/23 - $8.4k
USB Altitude Reserve 5/23 - $23.5k
CSP 05/23 - $17.3K
BMO Cash Back World MC 12/22 - $3K
Amazon Prime VS 07/22 - $18k
Amex Plat 3/22 - NPSL/$20k POT
Amex Delta Plat 7/21 - $25k
NFCU More Rewards Amex 5/21 - $30k
USB Alt Connect 4/21 - $10k (Opened as a Platinum Secured)
NFCU Flagship 1/21 - $32k (Opened as an nRewards secured)

longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FICO-Quest wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I just had this happen with a friend and his wife:  While you can have multiple Chase Amazon cards attached to a single Prime account - e.g., different cards for husband and wife - only 1-card per Prime account can receive the 5% rewards on Amazon/Whole Foods.  The other Chase Amazon card becomes the non-Prime (blue card) version and receives the 3% back at Amazon/Whole Foods.  When there are 2 different cards/accounts issued for 1-Prime account, the most recent card attached to the Prime account as the preferred form of payment is the ONE card that receives the 5% back.  It's in the cardmember agreement.

Thanks.  I was concerned that might be the case, but some other language (referring to the account used to apply) made me hope for a different outcome.   Still, that's ok.   Not getting a second prime membership!   (Well, I do, the UK one, but that doesn't help)

Message 7 of 8
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@longtimelurker , it sounds like your wife and yourself are members of Amazon's Household. 

https://www.amazon.com/myh/households 

I am the Primary Amazon account holder, and my eldest DD (living away from home in college) is setup as an Adult in our Amazon Household (Amazon limits only 1 adult per primary account).  I am the one responsible for the annual membership fee, and she does not have to pay a membership fee whatsoever.

She gets the exact same benefits as I do, and her new Amazon Visa card also gets the 5% on Amazon purchases the same as my new Amazon Visa.  Verified through recent purchases along with verifying through "Amazon Credit Cards" link within "Account & Links" dropdown.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.