Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Auto-CLI Questions

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Auto-CLI Questions

@Shock_ wrote:

I guess it's a good thing that there isn't any rhyme or reason. Wouldn't it be bad if we found out how their formulas work? I guess its good that it's strong...

But anyways, I'm trying to get a CLI with my Freedom too. Have only gotten one on my Amazon a while back after heavy usage. 

Can anybody comment on whether a bank account with Chase will facilitate more auto CLI's? Like are they more likely to give CLI's if you have a checking, CD or some type of savings with them?

I don't have any checking or savings with them, but it hasn't stopped me from getting auto CLIs.

It's probably based on a number of factors, of which heavy spending is definitely one of them. However other things will also come into play including what's on your credit reports (recent INQs, balances showing on other cards, etc.), plus your own internal risk score & exposure limit.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 11 of 21
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I have had my Freedom card for almost a year now and have received 2 auto cli's this year. 400.00 each time. If they do it every 4 months I should be due for another next month but I have gotten the CSP since then so I don't know what kind of difference that will make. It would be fine with me if they auto cli my CSP over the Freedom. Cat Tongue

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 12 of 21
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

I have had my Freedom card for almost a year now and have received 2 auto cli's this year. 400.00 each time. If they do it every 4 months I should be due for another next month but I have gotten the CSP since then so I don't know what kind of difference that will make. It would be fine with me if they auto cli my CSP over the Freedom. Cat Tongue

Do you have any type of checking or savings account with them

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 13 of 21
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

2) Are you guaranteed a CLI (if you pay the statement and such) or is it random?

Paying the statement doesn't guarantee a CLI.  CLI's aren't solely based on paying the statement.  As one example, I can pay every statement but they're not going to grant me any CLI's as I'm at my internal limit with them on my 4 Chase cards.

It isn't random either -- it's based on your credit and their criteria.  Randomly granting CLI's would be a terrible business practice.

Message 14 of 21
jbjr12
Established Member

It may not be random but it's definitely a YMMV thing. I've had a Freedom card for almost 4 years now. It was my primary card for almost three of those years and I still have the $2,300 limit i started with (my lowest limit by far, even TiresPlus gave me a higher limit). Ran 5 figures a year through the card sometimes having to PIF multiple times a month due to the low limit. I also have my mortgage through Chase. I put up with for a while because of the points (the UR mall seems to have some of the better deals on merchandise) but have since SD the card. 

Message 15 of 21
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@Shock_ wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

No, I do not. I will also mention that I have a BP card with them that has kept a credit limit of 400.00 for over a year now. I have never asked for a cli because I don't want the hp but I have seen no luv on that one.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 16 of 21
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

when you sya BP, do you mean a gas card?

@snowkitty wrote:

@Shock_ wrote:

@snowkitty wrote:

No, I do not. I will also mention that I have a BP card with them that has kept a credit limit of 400.00 for over a year now. I have never asked for a cli because I don't want the hp but I have seen no luv on that one.

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 17 of 21
red259
Super Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

Aww, I'm a bit bummed about that. Silly me thought as long as I used the card and paid my bills on time, Chase would show me some love. Smiley Very Happy

I'm not in dire need for a CLI, so if I don't get one, it's fine. I'll just wait until I apply for the CSP later down the road and see if they can increase it then.

Thanks for the information! Smiley Happy

I got an auto cli from Chase after having card around 4 months. Had heavy use and PIF. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 18 of 21
red259
Super Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:
Yes have received many Chase auto CLI over the years, but only one this year. Just remember Chase likes to see other cards with a minimum $5k credit limits before they approve a CSP, of course with anything YMMV.

There is ample evidence on the boards this is not the case. For the CSP I think what chase really wants to see is an established history of using and paying credit cards on time. Many people have gotten CSP without having another card at 5k. The real test seems to be whether or not your credit report justifies a 5k credit line. That being said if you don't have any credit cards it is highly doubtful that Chase will give someone a CSP as their first credit card regardless of their credit report. 

;
Message 19 of 21
red259
Super Contributor

@iwazl71 wrote:

I think it depends on usage.  I have three Chase cards; CSP, Marriott Premier, and Freedom.  CSP is seven months old and Marriott is 6 months old.  I got a 5k CLI to 10k on the CSP after 5 months.  I charged avg of 1500 per month and PIF every time.  On the Marriott, no CLI yet, but I only spent 2k on it the last 6 months.  So from my experience, it looks like Chase does like heavy usage.  YMMV.

When you say PIF are you doing that before or after the statement cuts? Prior to your CLI did you have any other changes occur in your credit report? Other CLIs? New cards? Baddies falling off? Paying down large balances? Change of income reported to Chase? Changes to overall credit util? I often wonder when I hear about a larger CLI like yours if the CLI is related to credit card use/payment or if other factors also came into play.

;
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.