Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase FF - %9 not %10 on groceries?

tag
JFox418
Regular Contributor

Chase FF - %9 not %10 on groceries?

Opened a FF account a month ago and have the 1 year %5 groceries rewards and the first quarter bonus is %5 as well. Looks like for the 1 year they take the normal %1 and add on the %4 for the year but the bonus for quarter 1 only calculates out to %4 even though it says %5. Is the Q1 bonus only a %4 and shares the same %1 on all transactions?

271535653_356378836296746_5597118678068680117_n.jpg

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase FF - %9 not %10 on groceries?

It's that you learned the old math, not the new version.   Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@JFox418 wrote:

Opened a FF account a month ago and have the 1 year %5 groceries rewards and the first quarter bonus is %5 as well. Looks like for the 1 year they take the normal %1 and add on the %4 for the year but the bonus for quarter 1 only calculates out to %4 even though it says %5. Is the Q1 bonus only a %4 and shares the same %1 on all transactions?

Yup, that's how it works. 

Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@JFox418 wrote:

Yup, that's how it works. 

Yes, and a case can certainly be made it is deceptive!   All the 5% are "base 1% + bonus 4%" but they don't stack additively as you only get the base once.  Now offer to pay chase 20 payments each month, each "base 1% + bonus 4%" using the same logic and.....

Message 4 of 8
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You can only earn the 1% base rewards once per transaction. That's why you're only earning 9% (1% base + 4% quarterly category + 4% SUB).

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 5 of 8
AwsiDooger
New Contributor

I hope I get that bonus. I applied a few weeks ago and finally received the card yesterday. The online promos indicate the promotion doesn't end until tomorrow. But I guess they had this in mind and cleansed the paperwork early. Absolutely nothing in my packet mentioned the grocery bonus. Also the $200 after spending $500 was not referenced.

Message 6 of 8
JFox418
Regular Contributor

@AwsiDooger wrote:

I hope I get that bonus. I applied a few weeks ago and finally received the card yesterday. The online promos indicate the promotion doesn't end until tomorrow. But I guess they had this in mind and cleansed the paperwork early. Absolutely nothing in my packet mentioned the grocery bonus. Also the $200 after spending $500 was not referenced.

I didn't have any promotional info included for the 1 year of %5 groceries either so you might be ok. Make sure you activate your promos! When I signed into the mobile app and it had a rewards sections and showed my progress on the $500 spend for the $200 SUB. 

Message 7 of 8
AwsiDooger
New Contributor

@JFox418 wrote:

@AwsiDooger wrote:

I didn't have any promotional info included for the 1 year of %5 groceries either so you might be ok. Make sure you activate your promos! When I signed into the mobile app and it had a rewards sections and showed my progress on the $500 spend for the $200 SUB. 

I am okay. Today when I checked my account online there was a box mentioning the 5% groceries for 12 months. So I'm sure I'm good for the $200 for $500 also.

It was very fortunate I got this card in time. I wasn't even thinking about a new credit card. I could have easily not been paying attention at all and missed the January 12th deadline. The only reaon I thought about this card was that Barlays took over the AARP card. That meant all I had with Chase was Freedom and Amazon Prime. I needed something with at least 3% back on restaurants. Chase AARP had that but Barclays AARP dumped it.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.