Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Q3 Categories: Gas Stations & Streaming Services

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Freedom Q3 Categories: Gas Stations & Streaming Services

I like it gas alone ill be able to cap the 1500 out. Smiley Happy.. Works for me although kinda hoping for dining and use costco at 4%, but no complaints will still fill up at costco.

Message 21 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Back to the drawer!
Message 22 of 37
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@calyx wrote:

Further regerts for my early apping smiley-laughing021.gif

I get the 6% streaming from my BCP... I guess the 5% gas is OK (I get 4% with Disco and 3% with Amex)

For most people 5x UR > 6% cashback , so its not the worst decision in the world to use freedom for streaming as well as gas.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 23 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

When I am at the gas station, my only concern is remembering which side gas tank is on. That's how often I need gas. 

Lot of cars has an arrow icon next to the gas pump icon, it points to the side of the tank door.

Back to topic, my streaming is youTube TV. I just buy gift card from grocery store with Gold for 5.2% towards skypesoes. For gas, I am fine with my propel. or I guess I can get gas gift card too, lol

Message 24 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if Amazon Prime will count as streaming. (It does for Barclays but not for Amex.)

This quarter I have a trip planned so the 5% gas will be a nice bump. Maybe they'll add an extra category before the 1st though.

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Ha!  To be fair, many gas stations do stock gift cards.  So if you're planning to make Amazon purchases or something else in the future, it's a decent way to rack up some URs.

Most cards do say "at the pump". Does anybody have data points about buying gift cards working for the 5% with Chase?

Message 26 of 37
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Most cards do say "at the pump". Does anybody have data points about buying gift cards working for the 5% with Chase?

The adverts may say "at the pump," but it all comes down to how Chase codes merchant categories. Unless Chase has changed its coding, any purchase at a gas station counts.

Message 27 of 37
calyx
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@calyx wrote:

Further regerts for my early apping smiley-laughing021.gif

I get the 6% streaming from my BCP... I guess the 5% gas is OK (I get 4% with Disco and 3% with Amex)

For most people 5x UR > 6% cashback , so its not the worst decision in the world to use freedom for streaming as well as gas.

I prefer cashback and got the Freedom for UR supplementation since I'm not traveling much this year (or maybe next, I should be back to "regular" travels afterwards) - I know the conversion isn't strict, but is a general guideline for me.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 28 of 37
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Ha!  To be fair, many gas stations do stock gift cards.  So if you're planning to make Amazon purchases or something else in the future, it's a decent way to rack up some URs.

Many times it depends at the gas-station.  Some of my gas stations code different inside, some don't.  The main one I use categorizes inside purchases as gas, so I could use the gift card trick.  YMMV.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 29 of 37
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@calyx wrote:

Many times it depends at the gas-station.  Some of my gas stations code different inside, some don't.  The main one I use categorizes inside purchases as gas, so I could use the gift card trick.  YMMV.

Yes. This came up recently when discussing Walmart and groceries, because Walmart is not coded as a Supermarket, so groceries purchased at Walmart are excluded from the "Groceries" category, unless you purchase through the Walmart Neighborhood Store, which is coded as a Supermarket. Consumers get confused because they saw that "groceries" count, but the actual merchant category is "Supermarket."

Essentially the issuer picks a merchant category, and the vendor must be coded as that merchant category to qualify. There is no category called "at the pump," but there is a category for gas station. But these days, for example, the gas station may also have a restaurant inside/attached, so while the consumer may think of everything on site as a gas station, purchases at the restaurant vendor may bill separately from the gas station vendor (and not qualify, in this example). More info here. As an aside, the Merchant Codes are interesting to flip through, if you're the kind of person who also enjoys reading the Federal Register.

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.