Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Recon

tag
Charmlessman
Contributor

Chase Freedom Recon

Hi guys

On my quest to start building credit I was on my way to a credit union but decided to stop at Chase to send some money to the family back home and while chatting with the representative I mentioned I was denied twice on my Chase applications. She mentioned that there was a way to improve my chances on getting a card with them which is to have at least 10k on my Chase checking account. She said if I had 10k and applied I would get denied but she would then recon saying I have only been for a short period of time in US and that I hold a checking account with such amount of money. According to her she has done this several times and only once has failed and the reason was that the guy had messed up his credit too bad to make the approval. I asked her which card could I apply for using her suggestion and she said Freedom.

Has anyone experienced this? Do you think she could help me out? Anyway, I am going into the Garden with my CAP1 secured card as soon as I get it in the mail at least for 6 months so I told her I will think about applying by the end of the year. What do you think?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Recon

I would say do it soon. I bet she can get it done. US Bank did the same thing for me when I had no credit.

Has your cap1 reported at all yet?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 13
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

keeping 10k in a checking account just to get a 3k chase freedom caard doesn't seem worth it. i say go for other cards instead.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 3 of 13
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Sounds like he can just put the money in, get approved and then take the money back out.

Who said $3k? I think it would be more like $500..haha

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita
Message 5 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Sounds like he can just put the money in, get approved and then take the money back out.

Who said $3k? I think it would be more like $500..haha

^ I agree.

Have friends with over >20k deposit, zero credit history (new to the US as well) and got approved for freedom. However they all got toy limits (500-1000). If that's what you want, go for it. 

Personally I wouldn't recommend it. But the Freedom is a great card, so if you can max out those 5% rewards, definitely go for it.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 13
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

If having 10k just to get approved for a toy limit, might as well use that money and open up a secured card.
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 7 of 13
Charmlessman
Contributor

My Cap1 card has not reported yet, thanks for the advice

Message 8 of 13
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

I say leave the whole hassle of putting 10 grand in a Chase account. Citibank sucks, but they'll definitely extend a credit line to you when you have no credit. CapitalOne isn't so bad nowadays either, they actually are redeeming themselves in a lot of peoples' eyes now. Also, known for giving a line, when you have no credit. 

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 9 of 13
Charmlessman
Contributor

I will call her and ask what is the average CL she has seen while doing this. 

Is Chase to hard on issuing CLI? Please keep in mind I have no credit history, would having a Freedom card even with toy limit help in order to establish credit? I think I only need to have the 10k for application.

I will got to the garden soon but I want to have at least 2 cards, would you rather gardening 2 secure cards or 1 secured and 1 Chase Freedom?

Thanks in advance for your comments

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.