Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom & Chase Pay Merchant Coding

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Chase Freedom & Chase Pay Merchant Coding

I've been using Chase Pay at my nearest Shell station this quarter and have found it to be great since I just open the app, click Shell, enter my pump number and then enter the code it gives me into the pump, automatically applying my credit to the Fuel Rewards program, giving me 5% back in URs for using Chase Pay, and not risking my physical card being skimmed.  So my question is, with Gas Stations being one of the 5% categories for Q3, if I continue using Chase Pay like this, will I get the 5% credit for "gas stations" or or will I get the 1% for non-category since I'm using Chase Pay?  I'm assuming it would still count as a gas purchase, but I was hoping perhaps someone knew the answer to this, perhaps from using Chase Pay in an earlier quarter on a bonus category.

Also, on the subject of Chase coding, anyone know for sure whether Chase still gives the 5% back on gas purchases in Canada?  We did get 2x on CSP from most restaurant purchases in France, Hong Kong, and Japan this year.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom & Chase Pay Merchant Coding

You can try opening Shell transactions this quarter, in your Chase on-line list of transactions on the website. This breaks down the components of how your points were determined.

Use the same method on July 1 when you run your first Shell ChasePay transaction. After it posts, go to Chase website, and see what it tells you for the transaction points.

My guess is it will reflect Gas and that Payment Method is a different part of the coding.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

It shows the bonus points for Chase Pay since Chase Pay is a current 5% category.  I'd hate to not know this going into July.  As we all know, the loss of 140 UR points from a single fill-up may mean the difference between my family flying economy and staying at a Category 3 hotel near O'Hare, or flying business and staying in the St. Regis Bora Bora.

Message 3 of 6
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Two things.

Had you used Chase Pay in Q1 at Shell? If so, you can probably go back and look at your points earning statement to see if the transaction got 4 extra points for Gas Station or 4 extra points for mobile wallets. 

This quarter, I've been using my CF via ApplePay at the groceries and have been getting 5% back this quarter. I guess this should hold this would hold true as long as the merchant code codes as a gas station. 

Message 4 of 6
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Forgot in my previous post - I thought the Chase Freedom still had a FTF? Assuming this is still the case, you'd be losing 3 points/$ on every transaction. Though, that would still result in a net 2 points/$. 

Other data for bonus categories on other Chase cards - I got 2 points/$ spent at Tesco in the UK using my Amazon Prime Visa. 

Message 5 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@iheartwings wrote:

Two things.

Had you used Chase Pay in Q1 at Shell? If so, you can probably go back and look at your points earning statement to see if the transaction got 4 extra points for Gas Station or 4 extra points for mobile wallets. 

This quarter, I've been using my CF via ApplePay at the groceries and have been getting 5% back this quarter. I guess this should hold this would hold true as long as the merchant code codes as a gas station. 

I think it probably will work fine and code as gas.  I didn't begin using Chase Pay until they added Shell as one of two merchants (Five Guys is the other) you can prepay with the app during this quarter.

@iheartwings wrote:

Forgot in my previous post - I thought the Chase Freedom still had a FTF? Assuming this is still the case, you'd be losing 3 points/$ on every transaction. Though, that would still result in a net 2 points/$. 

Other data for bonus categories on other Chase cards - I got 2 points/$ spent at Tesco in the UK using my Amazon Prime Visa.  

iheartiheartwings!! With a wallet loaded with no-FTF cards, I had completely forgotten about this.  Looks like I'll be sticking with SPG or using Citi Premier for 3x instead for Canada.  Thank you!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.