VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Chase: Full Transfer and Close, then PC

I have:

• CFU (2017) - $19k/17.24%
  • CF (2019) - $21.6k/27.24%

I want:

• CF (2017) - $40.6k/17.24%

My plan next year is to request a full transfer and close, transferring the CL of the CF to the CFU and then closing the CF. Once that goes through, I'll PC the CFU to the CF. Does that sound right? Any tips?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase: Full Transfer and Close, then PC

@VanderSnoot wrote:

I have:

• CFU (2017) - $19k/17.24%
  • CF (2019) - $21.6k/27.24%

I want:

• CF (2017) - $40.6k/17.24%

My plan next year is to request a full transfer and close, transferring the CL of the CF to the CFU and then closing the CF. Once that goes through, I'll PC the CFU to the CF. Does that sound right? Any tips?

I'm assuming you meant to say you want to keep CFU, because you have contradictory info up there in your post. 

If you're not using it, you can close or you move all but $500.00  and leave it alone in case you decide you want to go down the CSP/CSR road at some point. 

Message 2 of 11
CramEiko
Established Contributor

Try it. It's the older card of the 2. I wanted to do something like that. I had gone from CSP to CF.... at a bleh 21% bleh. Then Chase sent me a CFU pre approval at 17%. I took the bait and rolled my CL from my CF to my CFU and closed my CF. I don't have the same length of history. However, I have a lower APR and no longer fighting the category spend with CF.

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 3 of 11
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

It's not contradictory @Remedios (which isn't to say it's possible). I'd like to keep the CFU's advantageous history and APR but PC it to a CF with the combined limits. However, your point of keeping open the second card as a potential CSR upgrade is valid, in which case I'd end up with:

• CF (2019) - $40.1k/27.24%
  • CFU (2017) - $0.5k/17.24%

Message 4 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

It's not contradictory @Remedios (which isn't to say it's possible). I'd like to keep the CFU's advantageous history and APR but PC it to a CF with the combined limits. However, your point of keeping open the second card as a potential CSR upgrade is valid, in which case I'd end up with:

• CF (2019) - $40.1k/27.24%
  • CFU (2017) - $0.5k/17.24%

You're absolutely right, I missed the PC part later on. 

Seeing how neurotic Chase can be with rules and approvals, I'd keep that placeholder card. 

Message 5 of 11
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Seeing how neurotic Chase can be with rules and approvals, I'd keep that placeholder card. 

Are there benefits to moving the limits around? Part of my thinking behind combining limits was that it makes it more likely that other issuers will go above $25k, but I'm not sure that's actually true. My spend will not require even the current limits.

Message 6 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Are there benefits to moving the limits around? Part of my thinking behind combining limits was that it makes it more likely that other issuers will go above $25k, but I'm not sure that's actually true. My spend will not require even the current limits.

I don't think issuers tend to really "match limits" as much as we sometimes may think. It really is decided by your income and profile at the time of application, based on each issuer's individual policies. I wouldn't worry too much about combining limits to make a large limit just for the sake of future apps, especially when your spend doesn't warrant it anyway.

Message 7 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I really never noticed "matching". Some have been pretty consistent at approving me with limits that would be considered "high" and some others could not give a dingy ding about what my other limits are. 

I think that has more to do with individual profile and whatever internal criteria they are using than anything else. 

Message 8 of 11
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Will having a higher limit make a difference within Chase if/when I PC to CSP/CSR if my goal is to get both cards above $25k?

I.e. is it better that they see this:

• CF - $21.6k
  • CFU - $19k --> PC to CSP/R and request CLI

or this:

• CF - $40.1k
  • CFU - $0.5k --> PC to CSP/R and request CLI
Message 9 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

Will having a higher limit make a difference within Chase if/when I PC to CSP/CSR if my goal is to get both cards above $25k?

I.e. is it better that they see this:

• CF - $21.6k
  • CFU - $19k --> PC to CSP/R and request CLI

or this:

• CF - $40.1k
  • CFU - $0.5k --> PC to CSP/R and request CLI

Chase focuses on total exposure vs. gross income with a nod to DTI, so don't worry about trying to be overly creative with your credit limits.   This isn't a senario where you're looking to create a crowbar for use with other issuers. 

Odds of $50K total exposure are going to be greater if your If your gross income is > $125K/yr.

Not saying it hasn't been done but I've never heard of a Chase CLI request being handled in tandem with a PC.

Given the senarios you outline, assuming you aren't over 5/24 or if you have a Just For You offer, you might as well consider just applying for the card you want.   You'd take a HP in either case,  and if denied for the new card you'd be able to recon by offering to transfer CL from one of your existing cards.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.