cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Chase)Is it possible to get a better apr upon application than what is on your approved offers?

tag
delaney1
Established Contributor

(Chase)Is it possible to get a better apr upon application than what is on your approved offers?

A little bit of a background. I’ve been a Chase customer for over 20 years. I burned them in 2012. One credit card with them remained open with a toy limit of $500. A few months ago, I was surprised with some autoluv bringing my Freedom limit to $1500. A few weeks ago I got green check marks for the CSP and CSR. Then a green check mark showed up for Slate, and finally CFU.

I would say I’m obviously back in their good graces, but the apr rates are high. I only care about the apr in terms of my creditworthiness regarding a starting limit. I’m not really interested in the CSP or CSR because I don’t really travel though my husband travels a lot for work. So, I’m looking at the CFU (I like the 15 mo interest free term)to join my Freedom, and to use as a backup to my Capital one Savor(my daily card with a 21k limit) so that I have a significant CL outside of Cap1. I also have a 23k venture, that is pretty much only used for automatic charges.

The issue is I have a collection that is due to drop off next year. I’m thinking the collection may cause me to get a toy limit on the CFU.This will be my last credit card app most likely. I’m thinking it would be best to wait until the collection falls off, and have totally clean files before accepting an offer, because I’d like to get an approval of at least 10k on a six figure salary without apping for the CSP or CSR. Your thoughts?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: (Chase)Is it possible to get a better apr upon application than what is on your approved offers?

If you want a high SL approval and the app can wait I would hold off apping til your file is clean. That way if Chase lowballs you at least you can say to yourself you tried applying with the best stats you have and the issue is with Chase still having some hard feelings there.

Message 2 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: (Chase)Is it possible to get a better apr upon application than what is on your approved offers?

I am actually suprised you are pre-approved being that you burnt Chase back on 2012... Assume it was a BK?  If so even more suprised as they have a pretty strick rule about not approving people with BKs although you obviously have a card with them now.  One thing is certain Chase isn't known for lowering APR's ever for 99.9% of the population so if APR is important to you wait and you might get better although chase has an awful long memory when they lose money and whether they see you as a risk in their internal system for years to come, who knows.  IMO if you burnt them before they will most likely be conservative to you with even a long time if they have never been made whole again

Message 3 of 9
delaney1
Established Contributor

No bankruptcy, charge off. I misspoke. It was actually around 2008-2009. My last late payment was 2012.

Message 4 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@delaney1 wrote:

No bankruptcy, charge off. I misspoke. It was actually around 2008-2009. My last late payment was 2012.

ok makes more sense how you got back in... Still suprised you have the pre-approvals as they have a long memory, but more power to you Smiley Happy

I never burnt them but providian back in 1990 that they bought out that i actually paid in the 90's and they still remember that!!!  Granted I have Chase cards with big limits, but none are ever instant approvals due to that

Message 5 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

You will never see your credit worthiness through Apr with Chase. Just wont happen. Want good apr, app a Credit Union.
Message 6 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
You will never see your credit worthiness through Apr with Chase. Just wont happen. Want good apr, app a Credit Union.

Believe the OP was asking if there is any correlation on the APR to SLs received from Chase. Personally, I don't think there is any really but you definitely improve your chances with a clean record charge-off notwithstanding.

Message 7 of 9
delaney1
Established Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Believe the OP was asking if there is any correlation on the APR to SLs received from Chase. Personally, I don't think there is any really but you definitely improve your chances with a clean record charge-off notwithstanding.

Yes, I was referring to my starting credit limit. I was wondering if apr relates in some way with Chase since it doesn’t with cap one. So just because I’m approved, for instance, that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t give me a 1500 limit on the CFU(an indicator of a possible low limit would be that I have the highest apr showing).

Message 8 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yeah, understood. Always best to app with clean file though we sometimes have to. Good luckSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.