Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Pre-Approved Offer Levels?

tag
nj23
Regular Contributor

Chase Pre-Approved Offer Levels?

Hello

This might seem like a stupid question, but are there levels of pre-approved offers? 

For example, today I received a Chase Slate pre-approval offer in the mail (never received an offer from Chase before).  It has $0 BT for 60 days, 0%APR til Aug 15, 17.99% after that (oh, this looks like their normal offer so who cares).  Anyway, the card doesn't  interest me as I don't have balances to transfer, I don't intend on carrying a balance, and it is devoid of any other benefit as far as I can tell.  

It seems that Slate is kind of the lesser of their big cards (Slate > Freedom > Sapphire > CSP) with an emphasis on BT...while I understand how "pre-approved" offers go, (i.e. they purchase non-specific bulk credit data, a pre-approval does not mean guaranteed acceptance, etc.), I was wondering if there are "levels" of pre-approved offers, like if my generic non-specific credit information were better, would I be getting a Sapphire pre-approved offer instead of a Slate one - or do they just send offers for the less-premium cards in an effort to grab the most applicants?  I am not going to settle because of the pre-approved offer I received, but I am wondering if this means anything.  

Thanks 

FICO TU: 768 (Post-Spree 7/14 Discover FICO) FICO EX: 734 (post-spree 7/6) FICO EQ: 730 (7/15 Lender pull after INQs)
6% utility July 29th. Back into the Garden after a successful spree...for real this time Smiley Very Happy
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shock
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Pre-Approved Offer Levels?

it just means you met a certain criteria for the Slate. Once you meet it for the CSP, they'll send you a preapproved offer for that, presumably.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 2 of 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Pre-Approved Offer Levels?

To be honest I don't get pre-approval offers addressed to me (well, ones in my name, not Amex which has sent mailing for 3 different people preapproval offers at my address) until I've well since qualified for the card in question.

I am sitting on a pre-approval offer for a Slate, but the business banker I talked to offered up a Chase Ink preapproval, any of them (Visa Sig, pretty certain same underwriting or very very similar to the CSP on the Bold at any rate) on a personal guaruntee... so I wouldn't read too much into it other than Chase has you on their radar.  Historically people with Slate pre-approvals were approved for higher level cards too when they applied, but I suspect it's Slate / Sapphire and that's about it from a tiering perspective other than the cobrands (SWRR) and similar which may fall between the two.  Slate underwrites at about the same level as the Freedom I think, maybe slightly higher; however, they're both entry level cards just for different purposes.

        
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.