Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Reserve Retention Offer - June 2021

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Chase Sapphire Reserve Retention Offer - June 2021

I got an unsolicited retention offer on my Chase Sapphire Reserve, a $100 credit back against the AF which just posted.  Chase sent me a secure message to tell me to expect it on my next statement.  It's the same "COVID-19" credit I got last year when the pandemic was hot-and-heavy but I wasn't sure I would get another one.  Nice surprise.  Smiley Happy  Lowers the effective AF automatically from $550 to $450, and after the $300 travel credit from $250 to $150.  (Travel credit was expanded to include gas stations and grocery stores last year due to less travel to make it easier to achieve.)

It may be targeted, perhaps based on my use (or lack of it) over the past 12 months, and overall relationship.  Like many people, I haven't put a lot of travel spending on the card, but it has seen use for dining.  However, my use was not as heavy as previous years since I had added other dining cards including AMEX Gold and I've been spending on other cards for SUBs or better CLIs.  I have been a Chase customer for almost 21 years.  I've got six credit cards with them and I opened checking and savings accounts last year on a banking SUB.  For quite awhile, I left a chunk of my direct deposit going into my checking since it had been part of the SUB agreement, but I recently discontinued that.  

According to TPG website, some members have reported $450 renewals in 2021 but others have had to pay the full $550 fee, even after contacting customer service.  Their theory is that the fee reduction is being offered more to longer-time cardholders who have had the card for at least one year or more.  I got mine in 2018 so I'm starting year four. 

"While many cardholders have reported their cards renewing at $450 without issue, others have had a different experience. For some, their Chase Sapphire Reserve renewals in January and February have been processing at the full $550. And talking to a customer service representative didn’t yield any results on getting that changed ... We haven’t received official confirmation from Chase on any exclusions to the lowered annual fee benefit for the first quarter of 2021, but based on reader reports, it seems like it depends on how long you’ve carried the card. Readers who have had their Chase Sapphire Reserve for more than at least one year seem to be the ones seeing that $450 renewal. But those who applied in 2020 and are renewing their cards for the first time seem to be the group seeing the $550 annual fee."

Regardless, Chase Sapphire Reserve is still a definite keeper card for me but the extra $100 credit is appreciated, of course.  IMO, it easily pays for itself in overall value.   And it's just an outstanding travel and dining card. 

• $300 Travel Credit
  • $100 TSA Global Entry Credit ($25/year on average)
  • $60 Door Dash Credit
  • $120 Pelaton Credit
  • ~$55 Added value for Roadside Assistance equivalent to a Basic AAA plan

(*Besides Roadside Dispatch assistance, pays first $50 up to 4x callouts annually.)

• 3x Ultimate Rewards (UR) points on Dining and travel worth approximately 4.5% to 6% in travel.
  • 50% UR point bonus for redemption through Chase Travel portal and ability to pool points from Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and INK Cash.  Or ability to transfer to travel partners.  (Makes CFU's 1.5% worth 2.25% in travel;  Makes INK Cash & Freedom's 5% categories worth 7.5% in travel.)
  • Wide definition of "Travel" to earn AF credits or 3x URs.  (airlines, hotels, motels, timeshare, car rentals, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, campgrounds, and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages.)
  • Industry-leading travel insurances and protections including Primary Rental Car CDW, $1 Million AD&D insurance, payments for lost or delayed baggage, and trip delays or cancellations. (See link to thread  below.)

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/What-is-BoA-s-niche-market-for-the-Premium-Rewards-car...

• Travel perks to include Priority Pass airport lounge access, Visa Infinite concierge, Emergency Assistance, and rental car discounts with Avis, National, and Audi Silvercar. 
  • Shopping benefits:  Extended Warranty ProtectionPurchase ProtectionReturn Protection.
  • No Foreign Transaction Fees

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve Retention Offer - June 2021

Without going into too much depth or length, I received a similar offer on the JPM Ritz CC - 2nd year in a row.  I suppose it could be targeted since there isn't a whole lot of DPs out there ✌️🤷‍♂️

Message 2 of 9
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Love my CSR too since we travel so much.

I've had the card for years. Will definitely be asking for my retention bonus.😂

Message 3 of 9
SPChaser
Established Contributor

After DW told me about this couple days ago, I sent a messages to Chase, and, to my pleasant surprise, they stated my account was elligable for $100 AF credit 🥳. I've had the CSR close to 4 years now. 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 4 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Mine renewed Feb 2021 for  $450, and at the time I was on the fence about renewing for $550, so that was welcome.    But pretty sure I will have to make the decision in 2022!

Message 5 of 9
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Wow . . . That's awesome . . . Congrats on your Chase Sapphire Reserve retention offer -and- all those benefits!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 6 of 9
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

DP: CSR Still Crediting $100 towards AF

I thought there was a thread somewhere that included this but I cant find it so MODs please feel free to move.

But as a DP as of today Chase is still allowing $450 AF by charging $550 then issuing a $100 credit. Just wanted to pass this along.

screenshot-secure07c.chase.com-2021.06.30-19_45_02.png

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 7 of 9
SPChaser
Established Contributor

@Aim_High  thanks! Because of you mentioning this, I contacted Chase and was approved for the credit as well Smiley Very Happy

Edited to add this: Justed remembered I should check my statement from last year to see if I had received the credit then, and I'm happy to say I did Smiley LOL. Don't remember if I had requested it our not. 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 8 of 9
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

I too just received this, however, I didnt see any context to suggest it was a retention offer but I imagine a lower AF is always going to keep people. 

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.