Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase and Avoiding AA for Over 5/24

tag
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Chase and Avoiding AA for Over 5/24

Recently I was approved for a new card with Chase. However, I'm now over 5/24 and am concerned about a potential AA. Is there anything I should do, or anything I should not do, to give myself the best chance of avoiding an AA? How long should I wait?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Re: Chase and Avoiding AA for Over 5/24

What is AA?
Message 2 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

AA= American Airlines
AA= Alcoholics Anonymous
AA= Adverse Action
Smiley Happy

Dont app for 6 months and go credit seeking you should be ok, hopefullySmiley Wink
Message 3 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I don’t read this forum that much but 5/24 leading to AA?

Non-issue.

Chase would have shut down almost all of our accounts if that were a thing at various points.

        
Message 4 of 10
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

As said above, going over 5/24 isn't an issue, but Chase usually doesn't take kindly to rapid app'ing of their own credit card products even under 5/24. At least space those out 3 months if going for CSP/CSR and Freedom/Freedom Unlimited, etc. If your file is thin, you may wait a little longer to let Chase know you're going to use whatever card you have responsibly. No one knows exactly what causes Chase to send a 2nd card app to manual review, but it usually doesn't end well. 6 months is typically safe spacing in this case from what I've read on here.

Going after another 1-2 cards from other lenders shouldn't be an issue, but I'd keep it at that.

Message 5 of 10
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Thanks, everyone. I'll keep quiet for a minimum of 6 months and, fingers crossed, I'll be ok. I've had a good relationship with Chase so far and want to keep it going.

Message 6 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:
What is AA?

Adverse Action

And here’s the link for the many abbreviations used in the forum. It’s a

lifesaver. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/m-p/88458#M23

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Chase isn't going to close existing accounts just because you go above 5/24. That said, I think it pays to limit credit seeking with any and all banks because things have tightened up. Your plan to sit quiet for 6 months is a good one regardless.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it makes you feel better, I was just under 5/24 when I apped for the CSP. And all within 2 months time opened 3-4 more accounts during and  afterwards. Haven't heard anything from AA yet, and It's been 13 months.

Message 9 of 10
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Chase is not known for doing AA for being over 5/24. They are known for declining to provide you with new credit though which if you really wanted that new card could feel like AA. I remember getting my Chase Freedom last year when I was 6/24 or 7/24 and it was approved. Also depending on your existing standing Chase most likely will tolerate new accounts after your Chase app. I know my 100% on-time payments goes a long way to make lenders feel safe doing business with me. The only time I have been ever denied was because a new lender was scared of the other newish accounts or an existing lender feeling overexposed when I justifiably asked for too much.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.