Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase and Bank of America. Getting back in the Credit game

tag
gtnitright
Regular Contributor

Chase and Bank of America. Getting back in the Credit game

What has your experience been after a charge off with Chase or Bank of America.   A little back history.  A couple years ago I was let go from my job.  Used savings to live on and pay credit cards as much as I could.  Well I got to where I couldn't keep up and Chase and BOA closed the accounts.  I have been on payment plans with both of them.  I have 2 more payments with BOA and i'll finish paying Chase by January 2022.  I have a steady job now and have been paying everyone on time since getting a job in 2019.  I'm just curious if i'll be able to ever get back with any of them.  I had a Chase Preferred card and a Banknof America rewards card.   My scores a creeping back up.  Not looking to request cards until my scores are at least in the 700s. It's been a tough 4 years but I'm seeiing a little progress and want to know if i'll get back in their good graces or should I look elsewhere.  

Starting Score : EQ 635. TU 632 EX 635
Goal Score: 700. br >
.Nordstrom $800 Loft/$800 Cap 1/$3900 Amex BCE $9000br >
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase and Bank of America.

Congratulations on being able to get yourself back on your feet.

Unfortunately both BoA and especially Chase have long memories.  Between the 2 of them BoA may be somewhat more forgiving but that's only relative and it normally would take a number of years to get back in with either lender.

Spend your efforts looking to get re-established elsewhere, these 2 aren't the only games in town and there good alternatives. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 29
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

I was forgiven by Chase after the collection dropped off my reports(7yrs). I kept my Chase checking and direct deposit through the years though. 
Last time I asked a limit increase for my Freedom it went to a review and the csr asked me about the old debt, I explained my situation at the time and was approved, so they do have a long memory as the prior member said; but they do forgive. @gtnitright 

Message 3 of 29
gtnitright
Regular Contributor

Wow.  So even after the debts are paid they don't trust you.  I have been banking with them for at least 10 years. I would think they'd see your past history with them.  I wonder if Citi has the same memory because I had a Shell card with them.  This is not the news I wanted to hear but I'm glad fior this forum to prepare me for the good and bad.  

Message 4 of 29
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Yes, Citi is same.

Any lender you burned is going to be like that for a while (with the exception of cap one, but that's because their business model is different). 

You're looking at it from the perspective of someone who paid it eventually, and they look at it from the perspective of someone who didn't pay as agreed. 

In their mind, they don't want to deal with it again. I believe they will let you in eventually, but you are looking at years before they do. Whether it's on your CR or not is irrelevant, internal records are forever. 

I had some lates with WA mutual because I was too lazy to mail payments (yup, mother of all cliches - very young, extra dumb), and 15 years later i was asked about them during mortgage process. So it's not just that they retain their own records, but also records from other banks they chomped along the way. 

Message 5 of 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

Yes, Citi is same.

Any lender you burned is going to be like that for a while (with the exception of cap one, but that's because their business model is different). 

You're looking at it from the perspective of someone who paid it eventually, and they look at it from the perspective of someone who didn't pay as agreed. 

In their mind, they don't want to deal with it again. I believe they will let you in eventually, but you are looking at years before they do. Whether it's on your CR or not is irrelevant, internal records are forever. 

I had some lates with WA mutual because I was too lazy to mail payments (yup, mother of all cliches - very young, extra dumb), and 15 years later i was asked about them during mortgage process. So it's not just that they retain their own records, but also records from other banks they chomped along the way. 

Ummm I remember good ole WaMu... O/T, was this during the Jasmine years?  Asking for a friend 🥴😜🤭

Message 6 of 29
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Yes, Citi is same.

Ummm I remember good ole WaMu... O/T, was this during the Jasmine years?  Asking for a friend 🥴😜🤭

Pre-Jasmine. That was Jade age. 

Message 7 of 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Yes, Citi is same.

Pre-Jasmine. That was Jade age. 

Ahhh, learned something new! 😍

Message 8 of 29
gtnitright
Regular Contributor

Again.  Thanks for the news I didn't want to hear but needed too.  So I've got to figure out who will let me in.  The following credit cards were closed by credit grantor.  
Chase Sapphire Preferred

Bank of America Rewards

Shell Credit card 

Capital One Platinum

i tried so hard to keep them open and pay what I could but when you're down to almost nothing it was for me continuin* to pay for a roof over your head or pay the cards.  I couldn't do both.  So it likes like i'll have to find someone else that will give me a chance.  Ugh! Not what I wanted to hear.   So my next question would be since the creditors that were burned  will they not show  any love for any of their other products.?   

I still have the following:

Amex Blue Cash  $9k

Capital One Rewards $4k

Nordsstrom $800

Message 9 of 29
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

@gtnitright wrote:

Again.  Thanks for the news I didn't want to hear but needed too.  So I've got to figure out who will let me in.  The following credit cards were closed by credit grantor.  
Chase Sapphire Preferred

Bank of America Rewards

Shell Credit card 

Capital One Platinum

i tried so hard to keep them open and pay what I could but when you're down to almost nothing it was for me continuin* to pay for a roof over your head or pay the cards.  I couldn't do both.  So it likes like i'll have to find someone else that will give me a chance.  Ugh! Not what I wanted to hear.   So my next question would be since the creditors that were burned  will they not show  any love for any of their other products.?   

I still have the following:

Amex Blue Cash  $9k

Capital One Rewards $4k

Nordsstrom $800

Amex Blue and Cap 1 is still a healthy little lineup.  Try for a second Amex personal card. They typically don't hardpull existing customers who open up more personal cards with them.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.