Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase and transferring credit limits

tag
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Chase and transferring credit limits

I recently applied and was approved for a Chase Slate, I wanted to transfer a balance. I was approved for a very small limit however, 700, so the card became worthless before it was even shipped. I tried the recon route three times with no luck, tonight I called to see if I could transfer the 700 over to my Freedom and surprisingly they let me. I don't even have the Slate card yet! That is awesome. Amex told me I have to wait a year to transfer limits.

I figured I'd post this for anyone that doesn't know Chase offers immediate limit transfers. I also had him transfer the small limit on my Amazon rewards, 1000, and had him close that account too. So now I have only one Chase card with a limit of 4200. I so badly wish Cap One let you do this, and that Amex didn't make you wait a year.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase and transferring credit limits

@dapps06 wrote:

I recently applied and was approved for a Chase Slate, I wanted to transfer a balance. I was approved for a very small limit however, 700, so the card became worthless before it was even shipped. I tried the recon route three times with no luck, tonight I called to see if I could transfer the 700 over to my Freedom and surprisingly they let me. I don't even have the Slate card yet! That is awesome. Amex told me I have to wait a year to transfer limits.

I figured I'd post this for anyone that doesn't know Chase offers immediate limit transfers. I also had him transfer the small limit on my Amazon rewards, 1000, and had him close that account too. So now I have only one Chase card with a limit of 4200. I so badly wish Cap One let you do this, and that Amex didn't make you wait a year.

Indeed they do. My Freedom was approved for $1,500 and a month later I got instapproved for $9,000 on the Ritz-Carlton. I moved $4,000 of the $9,000 over to my Freedom because $5,500 at 0% is much more valuable to me than $9,000 at 15.99%.

Message 2 of 28
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

Indeed they do. My Freedom was approved for $1,500 and a month later I got instapproved for $9,000 on the Ritz-Carlton. I moved $4,000 of the $9,000 over to my Freedom because $5,500 at 0% is much more valuable to me than $9,000 at 15.99%.

I probably should have kept the Amazon rewards, and just transferred 500 instead of the full 1000, but even for an Amazon lover such as myself I don't spend so much there that the 3 percent back was THAT big of a deal. Plus I only want so many cards and in a few months when my final baddie falls off I plan on getting my first Discover.

Anyway, this is an awesome feature by Chase. Here's a question, has anyone ever had a CL transfer from Amex in less than a year? Is this a strict policy or is it one of those things where you just have to push a little?

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 28
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

I probably should have kept the Amazon rewards, and just transferred 500 instead of the full 1000, but even for an Amazon lover such as myself I don't spend so much there that the 3 percent back was THAT big of a deal. Plus I only want so many cards and in a few months when my final baddie falls off I plan on getting my first Discover.

Anyway, this is an awesome feature by Chase. Here's a question, has anyone ever had a CL transfer from Amex in less than a year? Is this a strict policy or is it one of those things where you just have to push a little?

Why not just get Sallie Mae and earn 5% for Amazon. Better then their own card.

Not sure I'd get approved for that, especially with all of the inquiries and new accounts I've opened in the past 6 weeks or so.

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 7 of 28
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

I might.

That was my plan actually, to go in the garden starting January 1st until July when all of my baddies will be gone and I'll be due for CLI's on all of my cards. I guess there really isn't much difference between 10 inq's and 11 Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 9 of 28
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Just applied, got the "further review 10 day" thing. So...denied.

I'll call to recon tomorrow but I won't get my hopes up.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.