cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking Prequal Pages Have Any Negative Affect?

tag
satio
Frequent Contributor

Checking Prequal Pages Have Any Negative Affect?

While a soft pull of course does not affect one's score, do you think the companies themselves track prequal attempts?

So that multiple attempts over some period of time might increase the odds that one is "hungry" for a banking/CC relationship with a particular entity and somehow effect 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Checking Prequal Pages Have Any Negative Affect?

Doubt it. Some may keep your interest in their product and SP on their own for when you do qualify. Then here comes the mailer. No solid proof. But it would make good business sense.

Then once your in. Speaking of being hungry. Then you have those that have a 25 foot stack of Disco letters (Mines 5 ft) from no CLI for you from insufficient blah blah blah. I wont name names. Cough Cough..............Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 11
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Ohhhh me me me...I think 25’ may be under estimating though
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 3 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, surely no one has discovered my penchant for paper trees?Smiley Wink

If checking prequals would force a lender to approve someone out of sheer will, this forum would be littered with a million new card holders lolSmiley Wink
Message 4 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@satio wrote:

While a soft pull of course does not affect one's score, do you think the companies themselves track prequal attempts?

So that multiple attempts over some period of time might increase the odds that one is "hungry" for a banking/CC relationship with a particular entity and somehow effect 

It wont improve your approval odds at all but it might put you in marketing department sights. That does not mean you did or did not meet the criteria for approval, but it might lead to pre-screened offers or something like that. 

Message 5 of 11
Lucifer
Frequent Contributor

Sooooooo.......

Speaking of negative impacts from PreQual Checking and as Remedios alluded to and I can confirm..

Story time....

I had gone years without an app.  Years.   I picked up a chase card for the 0% and I felt that old familiar rush from apping and getting approved...

But I didn't need a bunch of new credit - so whaty did I do?   I PreQual checked with EVERYONE.

Oh yeaaaa.....uhhhhh  felt so good.   All that luv I was getting - so many PreQuals.

Fast forward to now.

My freaking mail box is filled weekly from everyone I PQ'd with.  Like - Citi WILL NOT leave me alone....and others too.

So that's the extent of the negative impact as far as I have seen from my perspective.

Ok...back to lording over lost souls.   See y'all latahhhhhhhh

Stay Liquid My Friends...

Starting Score: F8 3xx
Current Score: F8 800+
Goal Score: F8 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 11
satio
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all the feedback on the point.

I didn't expect any data points were being collected ongoing from someone doing prequal checks but thought I would ask the opinions of others.

I'm a "data guy" as one component in my line of work so it would make sense for companies to do that but of course doesn't mean they do.

Message 7 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I don't think it matters.

I must have hundreds and hundreds of SPs.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 8 of 11
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Doubt it. Some may keep your interest in their product and SP on their own for when you do qualify. Then here comes the mailer. No solid proof. But it would make good business sense.

Then once your in. Speaking of being hungry. Then you have those that have a 25 foot stack of Disco letters (Mines 5 ft) from no CLI for you from insufficient blah blah blah. I wont name names. Cough Cough..............Smiley Very Happy

I often wonder what my mailman thinks of me receiving a new Disco, Synchrony, CapOne letter every single day lol. All denial letters for credit line increases. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 9 of 11
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

The cynic in me believes they do grab on to every bit of data for credit seeking. Being in IT doesn't help either as most companies collect far more data than the general public is aware of. Pretty sure that affects lenders' decision making to some extent. This is of course my opinion without proof.

Chase: NaaryalDaddy checed for prequals:

-- Last week

-- The week prior
-- The week prior

-- The month prior

Verdict: hungry, deny cheese.

5k+ CLs: Chase Amazon, Cap1 QS1,
10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.