Did you mean: 

Chip Technology Warning!!!

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chip Technology Warning!!!

@Anonymous wrote:

@ginger1477 wrote:
...I stopped before I could slice my hand. It looks like it world be easy to get out but getting a blade under is very difficult. The only way I could do that was by cutting the side and the thing only came up in one piece at a time. It's a thin metal.
Well I'm not the strongest person ever, nor do I make it a habit to steal credit cards, but from my ten minutes of going at it I think the card would look noticiably tampered with right away.

A square hole punch would most likely be able to do it, but it seems unlikely that a cardholder would not notice a "sticker" had been put in its place.

Best to look at your cards when you receive them back so you can ensure that you are receiving the correct card and not someone else's card.

Hrm, if I find that Walmart Discover they sent me when going through some paperwork I'm going to try this, I actually worried myself a little bit just playing let's see with the BCP and feeling a definite give around that area.  First impression wouldn't be all that hard to do even with an exacto knife.

I don't know about it's being unlikely though regarding noticing a sticker, I seriously just hand my card over, take it back and put it in my pocket, or in this case pick it up out of the fold and do similarly.  It's seriously an autonomic response at this point for me... while I ain't skeerd of the big bad fraudster, it would take some effort for me to start religiously checking my cards and I don't know that there's enough benefit for me to do it statistically without looking like some sort of untrusting person at best.  Loss of social currency, no bueno.

        
Message 31 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just glance at anything that I personally own after handing it to another person, whether it be a driver's license or credit card. Not worried about fraud, but if I am handing something of mine over, it's definitely important enough to me to glance at it before putting it back. Smiley Happy

Message 32 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you can remove the chip and it stay intacked. I could then remove another chip with my name on it and attach this chip to a card with my name. In case I was asked for ID. 

NO DAMAGE to the chip. 

So it is feasible that I could remove a chip. Attach it to another credit card with my name. Goto a store with a chip reader only and probably use it. Took me about 30 seconds to remove it. I had to destroy a few cards to see what method works the best. 

Also under the chip ( used a penfed for the succeful one) it's white. So yes I can see how a sticker may be used to trick a person. Since I've had the card Chip cards I've only been to three places that use the chip technology everything else has been a swipe. So the donor card would always swipe but I'd have the chip in another card to run to a store that would use the chip technology 

image.png

Message 33 of 47
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Meh we aren't responsible regardless for charges.. Just a headache whether true or not.. I have some cards where they appears they would come off rather easily then my amex cards which are alot more hefty and dont appear to be going anywhere

Message 34 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex doesn't come off. Those are fused it seems more to the plastic. Barclay it was impossible. With a little time maybe but with the amount of detail in the chip I ended up breaking some of the edges. Penfed was super easy, discover was easy.
Message 35 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the Barclay. Just to much detail in the chip. So it got messed up. 

image.jpeg

Message 36 of 47
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Harley you are simply epic!

        
Message 37 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

I was actually thinking about seeing if it would

actually work and flip flop a chip in my DW card and goto the store. But idk. I don't want to get into trouble

for anything. Just to see if any internal damage was done. Would this be considered credit card fraud even tho it was to see how secure this actually is? I do know a store owner so maybe he could assist in this therory? I'm just not looking to get arrested lmao. 

Message 38 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback Harley. It definitely would be interesting to see if the card still worked...as long as it could be done without any unwanted attention.
Message 39 of 47
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I was actually thinking about seeing if it would

actually work and flip flop a chip in my DW card and goto the store. But idk. I don't want to get into trouble

for anything. Just to see if any internal damage was done. Would this be considered credit card fraud even tho it was to see how secure this actually is? I do know a store owner so maybe he could assist in this therory? I'm just not looking to get arrested lmao. 

If you know the store owner it's a non-issue.  What's worst case they decline the card and a fraud alert is placed on the account?  Oh noes, they have to send you a new card anyway Cat Tongue

Wouldn't even be a hard sell "Oh I'm sorry the card got damaged, utterly my fault, can you send me a replacement please?"  Best part of this, it's even true.

I'm curious too how it'd work out.

        
Message 40 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.