Did you mean: 

Cit Conversion to AAdvantage Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cit Conversion to AAdvantage Card

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Folks, the solution for the AA Executive card is easy... 

Is Admirals Club access worth it for use 3-6 times a year (round trip) at $450? 

If not, then that card is easily eliminated. 

MDV, don’t you have any close friends and family that travel that you can add them as an AU?.

Opening an AU card is something that's pretty easy, so if I'm in a relationship before the next time I travel, I'll just add an AU card and if we break up, cancel it. My other family members don't seem interested enough in using lounges or credit card perks. 

Message 11 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

AUs don’t have to fly AA to get access.

Oh, okay. They just don't get full membership (meaning AUs miss, among other things, access to the partner lounges)?

For an AA-loyal family, especially without Centurion access, I do think it's a great value.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat it's not a matter of having forgotten about AUs with the Exec card so much as it not benefitting me. Like I said, one would have to weigh the benefits with their own variables.
Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

After all of this, I'm still on the fence as to which one I should get. 

Message 14 of 28
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

When in doubt, go with the card that has the lower annual fee.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

AAdvantage Gold has no perks... It just earns 1x per dollar. Unless you were talking about Platinum. 

Message 16 of 28
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You said you wanted some perks and have more fun traveling the basic AA or Delta cards don’t offer much.  AA Exec also gives you priority check in at the so if you need to check a back or make changes before going going through security you don’t have to wait in the longer line.  Also if your don’t have TSA Pre you can go through the priority line at security.  

Travel perks and a better travel experiences aren’t free but if you can get the cost down and use many of the card benefits your travel will be more enjoyable.  2x AA don’t mean much for me since I get a ton of miles from their dining and shopping programs in addition to fights.  All my personal and biz meals go on CSR 3x and all our gas goes on EDP 3x.  It’s great going to one of the restaurants that are in the dining program getting 5x AA and 3x UR at the same time.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You said you wanted some perks and have more fun traveling the basic AA or Delta cards don’t offer much.  AA Exec also gives you priority check in at the so if you need to check a back or make changes before going going through security you don’t have to wait in the longer line.  Also if your don’t have TSA Pre you can go through the priority line at security.  

Travel perks and a better travel experiences aren’t free but if you can get the cost down and use many of the card benefits your travel will be more enjoyable.  2x AA don’t mean much for me since I get a ton of miles from their dining and shopping programs in addition to fights.  All my personal and biz meals go on CSR 3x and all our gas goes on EDP 3x.  It’s great going to one of the restaurants that are in the dining program getting 5x AA and 3x UR at the same time.

I do usually check bags, and usually talk someone into checking a bag with me if I'm traveling with a companion. I think first class offers a free checked bag or two anyways. 

At the same time, first class tickets offer priority check in too. I already have TSA Precheck, not due to expire for another four years. 

I believe I've looked into AA's shopping portal (since I'm already an AA member with 10,000 miles currently), but none of the restaurants seemed interesting to me. 

Gold would be the obvious choice for a first class structure, but now with 2x on gas and restaurant spend, I have to take a closer look. I spend roughly $30-$35 a week on gas, and roughly $200-$400 a month on restaurant purchases. 

Message 18 of 28
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do usually check bags, and usually talk someone into checking a bag with me if I'm traveling with a companion. I think first class offers a free checked bag or two anyways. 

At the same time, first class tickets offer priority check in too. I already have TSA Precheck, not due to expire for another four years. 

I believe I've looked into AA's shopping portal (since I'm already an AA member with 10,000 miles currently), but none of the restaurants seemed interesting to me. 

Then your choice should be to wait and get a SUB if you only have 10k miles.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 19 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

AAdvantage Gold has no perks... It just earns 1x per dollar. Unless you were talking about Platinum. 

I don't see much point in paying a $50 AF for an airline card that doesn't even give free checked bags.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.