Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Prestige Guide

Just as a note, the Citi Thank You Points program seems to be very expedient if you choose hotel certificates as a redemption. I redeemed points for $500 worth of Hyatt check certificates and will be using them on an upcoming trip to an exclusive island.

The $500 in check certificates arrived via mail exactly 6 days after I requested them. Really very nice turnaround time.

Message 51 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do those certain ever expire? Are they better than 1% cash? Trying to find a way to maximize value if I kill the card.
Message 52 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

So... silly question since if it comes to this being a reality I'll go check FT, but if you stay say 8 nights somewhere do you get 4 and 8 free?  Granted could just be hacked by doing two 4 day reservations I suppose.

On an 8 night vacation, you will indeed receive two nights free - however you must stay at two different hotels for 4 nights each in order to meet the criteria. 

That's actually not difficult to do, especially if you want to see two different places (i.e., Milan and Rome).

You must also pay for 3 nights to receive a 4th night free - they won't honor the 4th free night if you are using points or a free night stay associated with your credit card.

The nice feature about the 4th night free is that you can use it an unlimited number of times throughout the year, as long as you stay for 3 paid nights at any hotel and book through the Citi Prestige concierge.

Message 53 of 64
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

So... silly question since if it comes to this being a reality I'll go check FT, but if you stay say 8 nights somewhere do you get 4 and 8 free?  Granted could just be hacked by doing two 4 day reservations I suppose.

On an 8 night vacation, you will indeed receive two nights free - however you must stay at two different hotels for 4 nights each in order to meet the criteria. 

That's actually not difficult to do, especially if you want to see two different places (i.e., Milan and Rome).

You must also pay for 3 nights to receive a 4th night free - they won't honor the 4th free night if you are using points or a free night stay associated with your credit card.

The nice feature about the 4th night free is that you can use it an unlimited number of times throughout the year, as long as you stay for 3 paid nights at any hotel and book through the Citi Prestige concierge.

Some hotels already have their own 4th night free policies, and charge $0 as the rate for the 4th night. That makes the current Citi perk useless in those cases. Some people will actually benefit from the changes, though, since the savings in the future will be based on an average of the four nights. A hotel's own 4th night free policy can be geometrically stacked with Prestige's future 25% off policy.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 54 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Some hotels already have their own 4th night free policies, and charge $0 as the rate for the 4th night. That makes the current Citi perk useless in those cases. Some people will actually benefit from the changes, though, since the savings in the future will be based on an average of the four nights. A hotel's own 4th night free policy can be geometrically stacked with Prestige's future 25% off policy.

The 4th night free benefit is actually a really excellent benefit. It allows the flexibility to stay at any hotel you like that is bookable by the Prestige concierge, instead of being limited to a hotel that might have a particular "night free" promotion or offer at any given time.

The flexibility of these benefits and the broad ability to use it with any hotel you choose (even boutique hotels or independent hotels) is a definite plus.

Message 55 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once the changes go into effect, the 4th night free deal gets worse because taxes and such aren't going to be included.  I suppose for those that don't like the $0 for fourth night some hotels already do, there is an improvement: They will take the average nightly charge.  You can play the existing 4th night free to your advantage if you have your 4th night a more expensive night.  I suppose if you use it often, the average is a sensible change.

Message 56 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Once the changes go into effect, the 4th night free deal gets worse because taxes and such aren't going to be included.  I suppose for those that don't like the $0 for fourth night some hotels already do, there is an improvement: They will take the average nightly charge.  You can play the existing 4th night free to your advantage if you have your 4th night a more expensive night.  I suppose if you use it often, the average is a sensible change.

I'll take the flexibility every day of the week of being able to choose my own hotel in any city in the world, vs. trying to scramble and find one that has a free 4th night separate from the Prestige - and hope it meets my travel needs and plans. If you don't like the card, I'd encourage you not to keep it - but there are plenty of benefits that more than make up for the annual fee.

As Irish mentioned, changes happen with credit cards regularly all of time. Changes and modifications aren't exclusive to the Prestige. Smiley Happy

My $500 in airline travel reimbursements alone just during the first few months of card ownership more than cover the annual fee, and I'm thrilled with that. Smiley Happy

Looking forward to using many Priority Pass lounge benefits on an upcoming 16 day international trip as well, in multiple countries.

Message 57 of 64
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Wanted to update, I flew on December 22 and paid for two bags wit Prestige but hasn't been reimbursed yet, is Citi Prestige quick?

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 58 of 64
wasCB14
Super Contributor

It should appear when your statement closes. Does it close in 2016? If not, it will count towards 2017 unfortunately. It's like CSR in that it goes by statements, not the calendar year. 

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 59 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing to note for Prestige cardmembers who plan to use the 2017 flight credit reimbursement for $250 - Citi Prestige told me that the charge must be made after my January statement posts in order to qualify for 2017 credit.

In my case, this would be after January 13. Other cardmembers may have statements that cut even later in January, so this would be an important distinction to be aware of.

This is helpful information to know as I have a flight in February that I wanted to book soon. I'm glad I asked prior to booking the flight. It will only be eligible for the 2017 flight credit if make the charge once the January statement cuts.

Hoep this helps someone.

Message 60 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.