Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi premier card & will I get bonus

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Citi premier card & will I get bonus

A bit of a unique situation. Two years and three months ago I got the citi premier card and earned the bonus. While still in the first year of premier membership there was some fraud on my account and citi closed my card and reissued me the premier card under a different number. After the first year passed I downgraded the card to the citi rewards+ card. When I downgraded the card it kept the same card number as the premier card I was issued after the fraud.

The question is now that it has been at least two years since I earned the bonus can I apply for a new premier card and get the bonus or will that card closure/account number change screw me up even though that was done by citi on their own volition because there was a fradulent charge on my card? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi premier card & will I get bonus

@red259 wrote:

A bit of a unique situation. Two years and three months ago I got the citi premier card and earned the bonus. While still in the first year of premier membership there was some fraud on my account and citi closed my card and reissued me the premier card under a different number. After the first year passed I downgraded the card to the citi rewards+ card. When I downgraded the card it kept the same card number as the premier card I was issued after the fraud.

The question is now that it has been at least two years since I earned the bonus can I apply for a new premier card and get the bonus or will that card closure/account number change screw me up even though that was done by citi on their own volition because there was a fradulent charge on my card? 

Based on a couple of past threads reported here and Reddit (IIRC), the account number change of any reported L/S activity, resets the clock on the SUB, regardless whether Citi changed that number on its "own volition". Somehow the system internally recognizes it as an account closure even if a replacement was generated. Same thing with PCs (or any downgrades) if the account number changes.

Now, you're welcome to test the waters, but no one here can guarantee what results you'll get in the event you decide to apply and/or whether the SUB is awarded or not.

Message 2 of 5
red259
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Based on a couple of past threads reported here and Reddit (IIRC), the account number change of any reported L/S activity, resets the clock on the SUB, regardless whether Citi changed that number on its "own volition". Somehow the system internally recognizes it as an account closure even if a replacement was generated. Same thing with PCs (or any downgrades) if the account number changes.

Now, you're welcome to test the waters, but no one here can guarantee what results you'll get in the event you decide to apply and/or whether the SUB is awarded or not.

Well that sucks. I guess I can pick up an AA card since I believe its been over 4 years since I had one from citibank. Can't seem to find a mention of having one since 2017-2018 and I definetly didn't pick one up during the pandemic. 

;
Message 3 of 5
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yeah I'd say wait until two years from when you got the replacement card number to play it safe.

Message 4 of 5
red259
Super Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Yeah I'd say wait until two years from when you got the replacement card number to play it safe.

Sadly that will add like 7-8 months on to my wait, all because some scammer. Nothing that can really be done but it is frustrating given the way it is disrupting my long term credit card plans.

;
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.