Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close oldest and highest credit limit credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close oldest and highest credit limit credit card

I am thinking of closing my Amex BCE credit card with a $35,000 credit limit which leaves Barclay as my oldest credit credit card. In doing so breaking every taboo on this forum. The thing is Amex has became more a problem then its worth. It takes 3 to 7 tries to do a transcation. It starts off with Not accepted, then several chip read errors, then possibly use a mag swipe message and that does not work. Eventually it goes through. I have replaced the card several times, I have been using a Usbank Cash plus credit card as a replacement and it seems to be workling a lot better. I also use a Wells Fargo Propel that runs over the Amex network without a issue. Knowing Amex likes to sue and close accounts and they just increased the mininum spend for no reason I dont see a reason to have it open anymore.  What are your thoughts or have made decisions that seemly defy logic? My overall credit limits will drop to $120,000 with the rest of the accounts account around ~$20,000, so it will not effect me for utilization. In theory it should not my Fico scores either.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Close oldest and highest credit limit credit card

If considerable older, I'd keep it open. JMHO

You can always drop a small recurring charge on it and allow it to retire to the SD.

I rarely carry around my oldest CC, which is also my highest CL. I do keep a small monthly bill on it.

Message 2 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I've never experienced those issues using an Amex card, nor have they sued me or closed any accounts.

It really depends on how much older your card is than your 2nd oldest, and how old this card is in relation to how often you plan to open new accounts in the future.  The age won't be a factor for up to 10 years, but depending on your profile it could be at that time when the card drops off of your reports.

Message 3 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

A novel idea...maybe you should get your card replaced.

What you're describing sounds like damaged card and not Amex gremlins messing with transactions.

Message 4 of 18
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The thing is Amex has became more a problem then its worth. It takes 3 to 7 tries to do a transcation. 

Exactly what kind of transaction and where are you talking about (online, in store)...plz give an example?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

A novel idea...maybe you should get your card replaced.

What you're describing sounds like damaged card and not Amex gremlins messing with transactions.

Not so "novel" -- the OP said "I have replaced the card several times." 

My thoughts:  1) if the card gives you the agida so much you want to execute it -- execute the MFyer. Sounds like your credit will survive. 2). I'd sock drawer w/the occasional purchase, as previously suggested. After all, the best revenge is living well. Let AMEX stick around to see how well you are managing without. 

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are all in store transcations. Kroger's, Walgreens, Meijers etc. Meijers seems to be the worst and requires the most amount of tries.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never had those problems with Amex but if there is a pattern and you won't be missing the card just close it.  I don't like keeping useless cards open either.  

Not too familiar with US Bank or Wells Fargo, except I enjoy getting their subs and closing their cards afterwards.  Lmao 

Message 8 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am thinking of closing my Amex BCE credit card with a $35,000 credit limit which leaves Barclay as my oldest credit credit card. In doing so breaking every taboo on this forum. The thing is Amex has became more a problem then its worth. It takes 3 to 7 tries to do a transcation. It starts off with Not accepted, then several chip read errors, then possibly use a mag swipe message and that does not work. Eventually it goes through. I have replaced the card several times, I have been using a Usbank Cash plus credit card as a replacement and it seems to be workling a lot better. I also use a Wells Fargo Propel that runs over the Amex network without a issue. Knowing Amex likes to sue and close accounts and they just increased the mininum spend for no reason I dont see a reason to have it open anymore.  What are your thoughts or have made decisions that seemly defy logic? My overall credit limits will drop to $120,000 with the rest of the accounts account around ~$20,000, so it will not effect me for utilization. In theory it should not my Fico scores either.

If I were you I'd (a) product change it to an Amex credit card that has a more solid plastic body (Cash Magnet, Delta, Hilton, or Marriott) instead of that flimsy style or (b) just use it for internet or phone transactions, where the infirmities of the physical card won't matter.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

They are all in store transcations. Kroger's, Walgreens, Meijers etc. Meijers seems to be the worst and requires the most amount of tries.

Have you tried using Apple pay or Samsung pay? 

Not trying to talk you out of closing, but I struggle with Samsung pay and all contactless cards at Walmart and Rite aid. Their terminals will error multiple times before it finally goes through. 

Maybe it's a store/terminal specific problem. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.