Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed a few CC's today

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Closed a few CC's today

So I did some purging and combining or PC's recently.  I have way to many CC's so purged a decent amount for myself in some form.  Here goes a small list of my pile of card.

1) Merill+(no longer offered so this was a ruff call) Closed had a CL of 45k.  Move 35k of it to my Preferred rewards and let the rest just go with card as preferred rewards at 60k is plenty.  Will kinda miss this card, but 1% was well 1%.  

2) Penfed Pathfinder.  20k limit.  Asked if could move any to PCR at 30k(grandfathered card) and the answer was no so closed it.  Actually was coming out ahead yearly with this card as no AF due to checking with them and balances and used the travel credit for AA GC's, but never used otherwise, but once again was just clearing some stuff out and it didn't make the cut

3) 5/3rd Trio.  10k limit.  simply put a $5 charge ever 3 to 6 months

4) Regions Cash rewards 1.5% card. 14k limit closed as didn't use either.

5) Amex Blue Cash 30k CL.  Closed and didn't move any of the CL.  Wanted to free up a slot for a future card as had 5 revolvers with them.  They actually offered me $100 retention for 3k spend.  Surprised on that actually, but still closed.

6) NFCU More Rewrds.  Was back and forth on more rewards card w/nfcu was just going to close as don't use, but pc'ed to cash rewards card might eventually just PC to flagship and move 50k from platinum over to make a 80k card with them, but platinum use to be decent before APR increases due to feds.

Added one card being Best Buy that will get some use.  So overall 5 cards closed and 1 opened and 1 pc'ed.  I certainly likely will open others in future for bonuses or as needed if a great card just like I will continue to close cards.   I have 2 Amex Delta cards plat/gold that will eventually get closed as well right before they hit two years old and a few others.   If i never closed cards it would be a nightmare as still have approx 30 cards I believe and just getting more and more tired of putting a few dollars on each to keep them alive and having maybe 5-10 that use on a normal basis.

08 Scores - TU: 839 - EXP:839 - EQ:838
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Closed a few CC's today

My wife has more than 70 active CCs... It seems at times  like a second job keeping up with all of it.. She's doing a purge this weekend. It will be interesting to see how many she actually shreds. Congratulations on cleaning out your wallet.

Message 2 of 25
AMJ50
Contributor

Have over 22 cards and it's getting to be nightmare. Every time I close a card, I open a new one. I've been getting cards I don't need, it's just a want at this point. Suppose to be gardening, not going well.

Message 3 of 25
Blender
Established Contributor

@AMJ50 wrote:

Have over 22 cards and it's getting to be nightmare. Every time I close a card, I open a new one. I've been getting cards I don't need, it's just a want at this point. Suppose to be gardening, not going well.

lol 

Been a lot of cleaning up lately around here. When I first got active in this, I said I'd open two new cards every year. I've kinda lost interest in that and just want a handful of a set up going forward.

10/2024

Message 4 of 25
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriosity 

Nice job cutting some loose .

EXP 780 EQ 796 TU 810
Message 5 of 25
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

I'm seriously considering jettisoning Cap1 Walmart and WESCOM.Not really pleased with either. 

FICO EX 829 EQ 824 TU 844

Current lineup as of 9/24
American Express Blue Cash Everyday 20K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 20K I American Express Cash Magnet 5K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 5K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One QS MC 11K I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa 25K I NFCU Amex 20K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 20K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 11.5K I Bread Financial American Express 10.5K I AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 8.5K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Saks Fifth Avenue World Elite MC 8.3K I JCPenney Mastercard 6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I PayPal Cash Back Visa 9K I
Message 6 of 25
redpat
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriositycut the fat and go mean and lean.

Lol, burn the fat to 10 cards by 5 reps a month.....Wait that might be too lean.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 7 of 25
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats @CreditCuriosity . Kicking 8 cards to the curb recently. Less to keep an eye on. Less desktop icons and phone apps. Mostly all the texts and emails that goes with it. Done.

Good soaking next week coming. Smiley Mad

Message 8 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Hope I a not in the bullseye @FireMedic1 and is a TS at most

08 Scores - TU: 839 - EXP:839 - EQ:838
Message 9 of 25
reluctantgarden
Frequent Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Hope I a not in the bullseye @FireMedic1 and is a TS at most

Ditto! QQ on the BCE closure: Why didn't you transfer any CL to another card? I recently closed my Amex AMZN biz card because it was superfluous, couldn't get CLI'd, and to free up a slot. However, they still seem to counting it because my attempts to get a hotel card keep getting nixed based on having the maximum number of revolvers, even after accepting PUJ.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.