Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing my First Premier Card..?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing my First Premier Card..?

I'm not sure what I should do... I have a First Premier Card with a limit of $300. It is my oldest open account (4 years old). It was the card that helped me rebuild my credit, however, now I have an AMEX, Chase Freedom, and 2 cards from Capital One. My question is: I am looking to buy a house toward the end of 2015 and I am wondering if closing the First Premier card will hurt my score? The card is paid off and has had a zero balance for months. 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Re: Closing my First Premier Card..?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure what I should do... I have a First Premier Card with a limit of $300. It is my oldest open account (4 years old). It was the card that helped me rebuild my credit, however, now I have an AMEX, Chase Freedom, and 2 cards from Capital One. My question is: I am looking to buy a house toward the end of 2015 and I am wondering if closing the First Premier card will hurt my score? The card is paid off and has had a zero balance for months. 

If you close it, it'll report as a postive TL for 10 years. The only drawback I see is maybe a hit on your AAoA. With what you currently have, you really don't need the card. 

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 2 of 18
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anomalous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you close it, it'll report as a postive TL for 10 years. The only drawback I see is maybe a hit on your AAoA. With what you currently have, you really don't need the card. 

+1 Close it....you've outgrown it!

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the short run, no - months from now - minimally. What it will hurt is your AAOA. How long have you had your AMEX, Chase, and Cap 1 cards? If you increase your limits on your cards before you apply for a mortage, that should increasse your score as well. 

I would close the account - personally. You have good cards to grow with. 

Message 4 of 18
baller4life
Super Contributor

Will not hurt AAoA. It stays on report for 10yrs. Closed accts are also factored in. Get rid of it.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

Will not hurt AAoA. It stays on report for 10yrs. Closed accts are also factored in. Get rid of it.

+1. No effect whatsoever on AAoA for 10 years. Read  this post about closing cards

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/m-p/347190?jump=true

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close it and burn it.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You paid their oppressive fees for 4 years?

You are a better man than I

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: after 4 years... I CLOSED MY PREMIER CREDIT CARD! No more  monthly fees, absurd rates, etc! I'm SO happy! Thank you to everyone on this forum! 

Message 9 of 18
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Update: after 4 years... I CLOSED MY PREMIER CREDIT CARD! No more  monthly fees, absurd rates, etc! I'm SO happy! Thank you to everyone on this forum! 

Congrats!   You used them to build your credit and now you can enjoy the rewards of your good usage.  So bid FP a fond farewell!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.