Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity problem

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity problem

I had a Virgin America Visa with Comentity and in December 2015 I went to what I thought was a vendor website and made a purchase. I received an email confirmation and clicked on the links to find out that the website was fraudulent and the was run out of China. I called Comenity to report it and the women I spoke with insisted the charge had to post before disputing. I called multiple times and spoke with different reps and finally they removed the charge and sent me the paperwork which I filled out and sent back in January or February 2016. I have heard NOTHING until I looked at my statement tonight, saw a balance transfer and called CS. I was told to call another number in the morning but was told they found the charge to be my responsibility. No letter or other notification - it just appeared on my transactions as a balance transfer. 

This does not seem right that after 6-7 months, they return the charge to my account with no explanation. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I thought there was a time limit for them to address the issue.  I have had a disputed charge with another company in the past and they settle it within 2-3 weeks. I doubt that talking to Comenity will get me anywhere. I did cancel all accounts I had with them whle I had the rep on the phone - they seem like a dishonest bank.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comenity problem

Sorry this happened to you. You also canceled the account that has the balance? That was probably not a good idea until this is resolved, as the credit bureaus will show unfavorably if you close a card and there is a large balance on it. Plus, I think that negotiating and working a problem is always easier when you have an open account and are a current customer.

Call to speak with a manager once more. Ask for a copy of their decision in writing, and again explain what happened. Confirm the full amount that they say you owe. Write down details about the phone conversation today, including the name of the manager you spoke with. Let them know you will be filing CFPB and BBB complaints if this is not resolved today. 

Realize that if this shows unpaid on a closed account that there is a possibility they may report it to the bureaus as delinquent, if they have not done so already. Check all of your reports and EACH of your prior statements with Comenity since December.

Follow up with CFPB and BBB ASAP (ha ha, no pun intended) to ensure that this doesn't escalate out of control. Good luck.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry this happened to you. You also canceled the account that has the balance? That was probably not a good idea until this is resolved, as the credit bureaus will show unfavorably if you close a card and there is a large balance on it. Plus, I think that negotiating and working a problem is always easier when you have an open account and are a current customer.

Call to speak with a manager once more. Ask for a copy of their decision in writing, and again explain what happened. Confirm the full amount that they say you owe. Write down details about the phone conversation today, including the name of the manager you spoke with. Let them know you will be filing CFPB and BBB complaints if this is not resolved today. 

Realize that if this shows unpaid on a closed account that there is a possibility they may report it to the bureaus as delinquent, if they have not done so already. Check all of your reports and EACH of your prior statements with Comenity since December.

Follow up with CFPB and BBB ASAP (ha ha, no pun intended) to ensure that this doesn't escalate out of control. Good luck.

Thanks Hum. None of the cards I canceled has a balance except the transfer balance comenity placed on there without notifying me. I happened to notice it when I was checking a prior charge amount. The whole debacle made me think Comenity is incompertent as I notified them of fraud within 24 hours and no one seemed to know what to do. It took a month of calls to finally get someone to send the paperwork. I sent it back at the end of january and have heard nothing since until now.

I will call them back today and plan to file complaints if needed. This bank is definitley not one  I want to deal with in the future.

Message 3 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wow, hope you can get everything worked out OP, Thanks for sharing your story. Its good to know for future references if one runs into similar cirumstances. Just follow Humu's advice and please let us know how it goes. CheersSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Wow, hope you can get everything worked out OP, Thanks for sharing your story. Its good to know for future references if one runs into similar cirumstances. Just follow Humu's advice and please let us know how it goes. CheersSmiley Happy

I am hating Comenity right now! I am on he phone and fraud is claiming this should have been handled as a dispute not a fraud. I followed Hum's advice and told them I will file complaints with CFPB and BBB as they should have been able to initially determine the proper route after the numerous calls and info I provided. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

I am hating Comenity right now! I am on he phone and fraud is claiming this should have been handled as a dispute not a fraud. I followed Hum's advice and told them I will file complaints with CFPB and BBB as they should have been able to initially determine the proper route after the numerous calls and info I provided. 

Well that's a moronic thing for Comenity to tell you know.  This is not a dispute, it's plain ole fraud and you don't 'dispute' fraud.  CFPB is definitely the route you need to take and they'll help you out.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:

I talked to Comenity fraud department and was told the case was not fraud after 7 monhts of their diligent investigation. The supervisor was going to leave it at that - in my mind that was not going to happen. After reviewing my prior calls with her, she said it should have gone to dispute. Not my problem that Comenity doesn't know head from tail - I did give them extensive information form the start of this debacle. I finally indicated that I did plan to file a complaint with the BBB and CFPB. She placed me on hold to get this transferred to dispute, came back after a few minutes and informed me they will remove the amount from my account permanently as the timeframe for dispute had passed. I verified that the balance would immediately be removed and not report as delinquent since I closed the account last night.

I kept the Virgin America Visa only in hopes that with the merger, it would eventually merge with the Alaska Air card. The other cards were rarely used and I can get better reward points by using cash back or travel cards for Pottery Barn ZGallerie, etc.

Hopefully, this is the end of this Comentiy nightmare!

Message 7 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Glad things worked out for you!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.