Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity shutdown

tag
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Comenity shutdown

So I have 3 cards with comenity all through the SCT trick a few years back. Sportsman's guide visa, Boscovs and Overstock. I received an email telling me to use the sportsman's guide a month ago or it would be shutdown so I put a small charge on it. Boscovs I use here and there so no worries but Overstock I never use and out of the blue I get a message from Experian that it's been closed...  Honestly I don't really care except for the padding of $30k but I just wanted to let others know use it or lose it

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Comenity shutdown

Ouch, sorry 

For those that might be in the same/similar situation, when did you use it last time? 

Message 2 of 12
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Wow... $30k. That's gotta be the highest limit I've ever heard of on an Overstock card. Sorry to hear that.

Message 3 of 12
Rogue46
Established Contributor

@Remedios 

It was probably around 18 months since last use so it wasn't really a surprise 

Message 4 of 12
Rogue46
Established Contributor

@805orbust 

I have a Boscovs card at $29.5 which I actually use a few times per year so I think that one's safe for now

Message 5 of 12
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@Rogue46 that is an awesome limit as well!  So... annoying but no skin off your back.  🙂

Message 6 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Rogue46 wrote:

@Remedios 

Well if you wanted to still keep it for padding, you should try to put a small charge on it at least every 3-6 months.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 12
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Yeah it's not really a big deal since I pay in full on everything each month so the extra padding isn't really needed and I have zero use for that card I just got it when I was rebuilding 

Message 8 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Rogue46 wrote:

@Remedios 

Well if you wanted to still keep it for padding, you should try to put a small charge on it at least every 3-6 months.

I think OP is aware, they are just sharing their experience 

Message 9 of 12
RealEstateGuy89
Frequent Contributor

@Rogue46 wrote:

So I have 3 cards with comenity all through the SCT trick a few years back. Sportsman's guide visa, Boscovs and Overstock. I received an email telling me to use the sportsman's guide a month ago or it would be shutdown so I put a small charge on it. Boscovs I use here and there so no worries but Overstock I never use and out of the blue I get a message from Experian that it's been closed...  Honestly I don't really care except for the padding of $30k but I just wanted to let others know use it or lose it

My Overstock card was opened the same way, using the shopping cart trick. They gave me a $4500 credit limit and last year I ordered from them 3 times and I paid in full every time.

I just got a letter in the mail about 3 weeks ago that my Overstock account was closed and then I also received a notification from Experian that an account was closed on my credit reports too. I was more than a little annoyed by it but not enough to call them I guess. I'm going to stay away from anything with Comenity in the future if I can help it. Grrrr. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.