Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convince me why I should opt for Delta Gold rather than Blue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Convince me why I should opt for Delta Gold rather than Blue

So dug up my AMEX decline letter for Delta Gold on Jan 13(my only app for AMEX I believe);

unlike others, it cited only one reason for denial;

'Based on your credit report, you have too many new bank accounts'

😬

Since then I added one more lol next month, Disco it CB, so I doubt AMEX will approve the 2nd time so soon. Well, not doing anything is the easiest thing 😅 I guess

Message 11 of 51
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So dug up my AMEX decline letter for Delta Gold on Jan 13(my only app for AMEX I believe);

unlike others, it cited only one reason for denial;

'Based on your credit report, you have too many new bank accounts'

😬

Since then I added one more lol next month, Disco it CB, so I doubt AMEX will approve the 2nd time so soon. Well, not doing anything is the easiest thing 😅 I guess

Well, you can try again in the next month or so since it's been 30 days since you were denied. If denied again (for whatever reason), then plan on taking/using Discover and maybe taking SavorOne as a tag along since those particular cards have no FTFs.

Message 12 of 51
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

It's very easy as to why you apply for the Gold instead of the Blue. I'll give you my case:

- Delta Blue SUB: 10k Delta miles for 1 k spend in 3 months, at a minimum value of 1 cpm, that's 10% return on spend

- Delta Gold SUB: 70k Delta miles for 2k spend in 3 months + $200 statement credit on a Delta purchase, that's 45% return on spend

That offer was only available on the Delta website when you made a booking, you didn't have to finish the booking though.

Neither card has an annual fee in year one, the Gold can be downgraded to Blue.

Seemed pretty logical to me. $900 in cash and travel vs. $100 in travel.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 13 of 51
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

You mentioned traveling solo, so Delta Platinum and Reserve cards would likely not be good choices for you without a companion or needing them to help with elite status.  Sounds like the free bag perk on Gold wouldn't make sense for you since you travel solo without bags domestically, and as mentioned in another thread with Delta and its partners you will almost always have baggage allowance on international flights anyway (although again, it does stack with Delta-operated flights).

Gold is unquestionably a better value with its SUB alone.  Piggybacking on the above post, when redeeming SkyMiles for an award flight you will get a minimum value of 1.2¢ per mile (there are other cases such as upgrades and Pay With Miles where you could go as low as 1.0¢) but Delta has very frequent sales where that can be raised fairly considerably even on Main Cabin flights.  So even a fairly standard 70k Welcome Offer on Gold would be valued at a minimum of $840 toward award flights, while I have never seen Blue above 10k.  There are some other perks with Gold as well that you won't get with Blue.  Since you mentioned that you sometimes fly Spirit, Delta's Basic Economy fares can be made much more bearable with the Delta Gold card as you would be able to board with Main Cabin 1 and be less likely to need to gate check your carry-on, plus with the recent expansion and terminal upgrades, Delta is making a serious push to be more dominant at LAX.

Message 14 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confusing.  Some says on the Surpass thread that Gold only apply 2% for US restaurants. Websites does say US restaurants.

But other websites, Nerdwallet, Forbes, TPG, wallethub all say restaurant worldwide.

Blue says on the website:

'At restaurants worldwide'

😵

Message 15 of 51
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Confusing.  Some says on the Surpass thread that Gold only apply 2% for US restaurants. Websites does say US restaurants.

But other websites, Nerdwallet, Forbes, TPG, wallethub all say restaurant worldwide.

Blue says on the website:

'At restaurants worldwide'

😵

Amex clearly states any distinctions directly on the card information pages where it shows elevated rewards.  They do differ at times even within the same family of cards.  Do keep in mind that in the middle ground between fine dining and international fast food chains where it is more likely, Amex acceptance at restaurants can be fairly limited at in many areas of the world so the distinction may not really matter to many cardholders.

Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card - 2x miles on dining at restaurants worldwide, and for takeout and delivery in the U.S.

Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card - 2x miles on dining at U.S. restaurants, plus takeout and delivery.

Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card - 6x points on dining at U.S. restaurants, including takeout and delivery.

American Express® Gold Card - 4x points on dining at restaurants worldwide, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S.

American Express® Green Card -  3x points at restaurants including takeout and delivery in the US.

Message 16 of 51
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

It is mostly math for your use pattern for any of the Delta cards.

One thing I have not seen emphasized is that with Gold, you and everyone in your travel party gets a free checked bag. That alone can easily be worth the AF, but again, it depends on how you'd use the card.

All four of the cards make sense for some segment of users, you just need to figure out which segment you are in.

Sidenote, I am thinking about downgrading my Platinum to Gold since I am not flying much lately and am unlikely to take advantage of the companion certificate soon. I would downgrade to Blue except that I have already gotten the Gold SUB and I have not gotten the Blue sub, so I want to leave that possibility open.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 17 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am glad I did not succumb to temptation applying it before promo end lol. I've already spent too much this year so far what with travels at least once per month, and from now on it'll be retrenchment(2 more trips, to GA this month and IL in May but already paid all expenses in January, tickets, rental car, lodgings). So was actually hesitating to spend 2k to satisfy sub for Gold(since I'm solo, there's really not that much to spend now, bought pretty much everything I want on Amazon and Swatch too). Also curtailed restaurants, so mostly I'm spending on groceries(CFF 5%). Now Gold sub is more manageable $1000 in 3 months. Will probably apply next month or so.

Message 18 of 51
Bradac56
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is why I'm hesitant to apply for Delta now:

Still bucketed. I'm in a similar boat. I got a Platinum in 2016 with no credit score, between credit steps and account consolidation I got it to $4500 in 2017, where it's sat ever since. I've gone between 615 and 700 FICOs and nothing has changed. I've got a couple small things on it just to keep it open for the time being.

I see this type of post allot on the forum. 

A higher Fico score alone never means a higher CL.  Only putting small charges on the card is the problem, they are not going to give you a higher limit if all you are doing is buying a candy bar once a month.

The entire point of a credit card is to use it, you’re going to have to put real spend through the card before they start treating you better as they have plenty of other customers that will do it.

Message 19 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bradac56 wrote:
@Anonymous wrote:

This is why I'm hesitant to apply for Delta now:

Still bucketed. I'm in a similar boat. I got a Platinum in 2016 with no credit score, between credit steps and account consolidation I got it to $4500 in 2017, where it's sat ever since. I've gone between 615 and 700 FICOs and nothing has changed. I've got a couple small things on it just to keep it open for the time being.

I see this type of post allot on the forum. 

A higher Fico score alone never means a higher CL.  Only putting small charges on the card is the problem, they are not going to give you a higher limit if all you are doing is buying a candy bar once a month.

The entire point of a credit card is to use it, you’re going to have to put real spend through the card before they start treating you better as they have plenty of other customers that will do it.

You're right, that's why I'm hoping for CFF increase, I've spent a LOT on that 500 SL card. CO SO too this year, charging many travel expenses. Already got CLIs on Amazon store card and CITI DC even before the 6th month.

Message 20 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.