Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Costco visa

Was wondering if I need an executive membership to get the credit card or would the basic membership be fine?

Thinking about doing a PC to it. I called the citi rep and was told I could PC but she didn’t know if I needed the executive membership. She just said “probably.”
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Costco visa

@Anonymous wrote:
Was wondering if I need an executive membership to get the credit card or would the basic membership be fine?

Thinking about doing a PC to it. I called the citi rep and was told I could PC but she didn’t know if I needed the executive membership. She just said “probably.”

A Gold Star membership is sufficient for the CC.

That said, it doesn't take much Costco spend to justify the additional $60 for an Executive membership.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 17
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That said, it doesn't take much Costco spend to justify the additional $60 for an Executive membership.

You can also ask the executive membership be refunded if your not satisfied with it.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It takes exactly $250/month in Costco spend to break even on an executive membership. For every $100 per month you spend above that amount you will earn $2. 

The catch is you get it as a voucher that can be spent at Costco, which effectively means you're going to be renewing your Costco membership so that you can spend the voucher. This can be a real pain. When I moved from Canada to the US I wound up with a Costco Canada voucher that I couldn't spend at a US Costco. It took me nearly a year to find a way to get to a Canadian Costco and buy something. 

If you think you might switch from Costco to Sam's Club or possibly stop shopping at warehouse stores (or move to another country!)  then that lock-in might be a deterrent.

Message 4 of 17
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It takes exactly $250/month in Costco spend to break even on an executive membership. For every $100 per month you spend above that amount you will earn $2. 

The catch is you get it as a voucher that can be spent at Costco, which effectively means you're going to be renewing your Costco membership so that you can spend the voucher. This can be a real pain. When I moved from Canada to the US I wound up with a Costco Canada voucher that I couldn't spend at a US Costco. It took me nearly a year to find a way to get to a Canadian Costco and buy something. 

If you think you might switch from Costco to Sam's Club or possibly stop shopping at warehouse stores (or move to another country!)  then that lock-in might be a deterrent.

That’s not 100% accurate. You do get a voucher but you don’t have to spend it at Costco. You can go to a register and cash it out. Take the money and use it however you want. 

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should always cash it out anyway and put new purchase on a card so you can earn more rewards on the new purchases, never use voucher to pay for new purchases.
Message 6 of 17
Manonfire
Regular Contributor

I have a basic gold membership and the back of my card Costco visa is grey in color. I noticed my dads business costa visa is black on the back of the card. Is the executive membership costco visa also black on the back of the card?
Message 7 of 17
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Manonfire wrote:
I have a basic gold membership and the back of my card Costco visa is grey in color. I noticed my dads business costa visa is black on the back of the card. Is the executive membership costco visa also black on the back of the card?

I have both versions of the exec (personal and business), and the back of the cards is black.

Message 8 of 17
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Gold membership is fine.

Apply in warehouse. You might get a $60 cash card if you apply executive and citi Visa at the same time. Ask when you are applying. This depends on warehouse. Essentially, it's like getting executive for one year free. You can then downgrade if you think executive is not worth it to you.

Message 9 of 17
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@Manonfire wrote:
Mine is gray but I have the executive membership

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.