Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cred Card Prequalifications

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cred Card Prequalifications

Hey Everyone, we all know many creditors offer a way to see if you prequalify for a credit card, and if you get a specific APR its usualy a good sign for approval, but I wonder, when you do not prequalify for a card, why dont they just tell you not to waste a HP applying for a card because you wont get approved. But rather than be honest, they say we dont have any offers for you but you might like this card, just to deny you and make you waste a HP. Most people here are smart enough to not fall for it, but it hurts a lot of other people.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: Cred Card Prequalifications

The average person probably doesn't know the difference between a hard and a soft pull.

Heck, the average person probably doesn't realize merely applying for a card effects their credit score.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 2 of 13
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Because you can still be approved without a prequal.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

What is the difference between a soft pull and hard pull?
Message 4 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Softs are only seen by you, hards everyone sees.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't prequalify for AMEX, Discover, or Capital One. Applied anyway and got all three. Prequals are great indicators of likelihood but just as a prequal is no guarantee of success, not getting prequalified is no guaranteed of failure. They go based upon a soft pull plugged into their algorithm. Actual approvals and denials take many more things into account.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Softs are only seen by you, hards everyone sees.

Its so hard to not read that post in a gutter minded way. LOL! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I almost answered until I saw the asker.

Message 8 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thank youSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, Cincy, i hear ya hahaSmiley Happy

I decided a little dead pan might be neededSmiley Wink

Op, good point though, many get caught off guard, though in some cases, we should know better, ie Chase (5/24). Perhaps the credit card companies are like the cashiers at retail, the more apps they get the better.? Yeah they could tell us what they sre looking for upfront but then they wouldnt have their fun, looking at you DiscoSmiley Wink
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.