Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card APR Reduction

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card APR Reduction

Question: How do I deal with Barclays on this issue? I have 3 cards; two of them opened in 2011 and one in 1994. I went thru a significant life transition four years ago and leaned heavily on credit. (Personal life and work are stable again.) Interests rates are 23%, 20%, and 17% respectively. Let’s just say balances are roughly $25K in total. I’m now on the “debt treadmill” with these cards. I can pay minimums (plus some) but still no significant dent in principal balances. I have a stellar payment history and my credit score is very good (720+). I called Barclays today armed with this information and a good attitude. I politely asked if I could speak with someone that could authorize a reduction in the APR’s on the three credit cards. I was told, rather flatly, that Barclays Cards has put a hold on negotiating any reductions at all to current APRs. I politely asked for a supervisor. The supervisor told me the same thing. I find this appalling but it is what it is. What should I do with Barclays? And, should I consider a personal debt consolidation loan and where does one go to apply? I’m motivated to get this debt paid within 12-18 months but want to clear my debt from Barclays immediately if possible. Thanks for comments and recommendations.        

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Card APR Reduction

Welcome to the forumSmiley Happy

Unfortunately i dont believe Barclays is big on apr reductions as of late. As for getting a debt consolifation loan you csn try many avenues such ss your local bank, big banks or Credit Unions. For best options or advice here, id recommend you give as much pertinent info or data points as you csn such as true fico scores, aaoa, hps, current credit cards you may have etc. This way people can make better suggestions based off their experiences. Best of luck Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 15
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

This^^^^

Balance Transfer may be better than consolidation loans.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO is 723.  Problem w debt consolidation loan is my debt to income is quite high right now ... although I do manage to make all minimum payments and stay current on two mortgages.  Current cards are the 3 Barclays (Aviator/UPromise/Upromise); LLBean Visa; Chase Slate; Amex.  The Chase Slate I just used for a small balance transfer of $5K w 0% APR for 6 months.  

My question now is can I qualify for a debt consolidation loan w a traditional lender?  If I can consolidate this debt at a lower interest rate I'm confident that I can bank out this debt in 12 months.  The high IRs are killing me. 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mike :

I don't think I can qualify for a new card with a large enough credit line to do a balance transfer on $25K.  I run into the high debt to credit problem although FICO is decent.  Do you know differently or any advice?  

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you attempted a prequal for a personal loan through sites such as Credit Karma or Nerdwallet?

I was in a similar situation a while back with almost $35k in CC debt. Basically two of the 3 cards I had at the time maxed out, and the other with only a $1k CL. Was paying more than minimums but never seemed to make a dent due to interest. Scores were in the 620's due to high util.

Got preapproved for a Marcus/GS loan for $22k and paid off one card and a big chunk of the other. Rate not phenomenal but still 10 points lower than the cards. Shortly after that I was approved for Discover and BT $4k off the remaining card at 0% for 18 months. Then within a week or two was preapproved for Amex personal loan and eliminated the remaining CC balance. Scores jumped 100+ points after the whole process was complete. Now I've got a set end date when all will be paid off and much lower payments to boot.

Keep an eye on where the loan is coming from though. I've read that some are reported as consumer finance accounts and could be viewed negatively by creditors. More knowledgeable members here would have better info on that.

Not saying you'd have the same results as everyone is different, of course. But there are options, even if it doesn't all happen at once.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

AlpineX:

I will look into a personal loan through Credit Karma and Nerdwallet.

How did you get preapproved for a Marcus/GS loan for $22k?

Is that Goldman Sachs?  Would you recommned that route or another bank or does Credit Karma and Nerdwallet specialize in those loans? 

A debt consolidation loan - combined with a balance transfer - seems to be my quickest path out of this mess.

Message 7 of 15
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Marcus can be an option, also Discover can offer good deals on consolidation loans...  Also you might even get a sympathetic CU or such esp if you have an established relationship with one... Sounds like youve mostly stopped the bleed, but still might need to curtail spending a bit more at least until you get further along.... Also look around.. LC or Prosper *might* be an option, or something like Payoff (not avalible in my state however)... You have options... should be able to shuffle some of it if not all to a better option...

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

AlpineX:

I will look into a personal loan through Credit Karma and Nerdwallet.

How did you get preapproved for a Marcus/GS loan for $22k?

Is that Goldman Sachs?  Would you recommned that route or another bank or does Credit Karma and Nerdwallet specialize in those loans? 

A debt consolidation loan - combined with a balance transfer - seems to be my quickest path out of this mess.

Marcus is through Goldman Saks. I had been receiving preapproved mailers from them for probably a year, up to $30k. Believe I had done the preapproval process through Credit Karma at some time before that and Marcus is part of their process.  Never did anything with it because I thought I didn't have a chance with my scores, despite the preapproval. I knew it wasn't guaranteed. Finally app'd through one of the invites out of desperation, approved with a max of $22k and I took it. Probably 48 hours from app to cash in my checking account.

Another I've heard good things about lately is Lightstream, through SunTrust bank. Minimum required score of 660. They are part of the Nerdwallet preapproval process, along with many others. If I were to go for another PL I will definitely include them in my decision process as I was unaware of them when I did Marcus.

My preference would be to have a loan backed by a bank. If you read the fine print in many offers, they are funded by investors who put up $ for a percent or all of your loan. It may work for some, and may be the best rate-wise, but that's for each person to decide for themselves.

I had app'd for Discover IT about a year prior through a preapproval and was declined. After Marcus loan I got another preapproval from them and was then approved. It wasn't until after that happened that the Amex PL was offered to me. So if you are able to get a chunk of your utilization down with a PL or BT, other offers may appear that were not an option before, thus helping your progress. But, YMMV.

Message 9 of 15
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

FICO is 723.  Problem w debt consolidation loan is my debt to income is quite high right now ... although I do manage to make all minimum payments and stay current on two mortgages.  Current cards are the 3 Barclays (Aviator/UPromise/Upromise); LLBean Visa; Chase Slate; Amex.  The Chase Slate I just used for a small balance transfer of $5K w 0% APR for 6 months.  

My question now is can I qualify for a debt consolidation loan w a traditional lender?  If I can consolidate this debt at a lower interest rate I'm confident that I can bank out this debt in 12 months.  The high IRs are killing me. 

You could investigate financial terms for refinancing your two mortgages and credit card balances into one mortgage. That could be a last-ditch way to stay in your house without declaring bankruptcy if you are unable to increase your income.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian March 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 850 Equifax March 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.