cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Utilization Questions.. Please Help..

tag
isacarol2
Established Member

Credit Card Utilization Questions.. Please Help..

First thanks to everyone for there support and dedication to helping others grow. Im on the process of rebuilding and wanted to ask about Utilazation to maximize points and have a better history.  

My first question is, Is Fingerhut Revolving considered a Credit Card ? In other words does that card fall into Utilization? 

This is my Line Up. 

FingerHut Revolving ( Not Sure if this is considered in Utilization?)

Credit One bank $600 Limit ( Paid In Full for the month) $0

First Premier  $ 300 Limit ( Showing a $26 Balance)  Statement has not Cut Yet

First Primer $300 Limit ( Showing a $24 Balance)  State has not Cut Yet. 

Just Got a Capital One Secured $200 Limit ( Paid the Annual Fee) Current Balance $13.79 ( Only had for 1 week.

Also just got some Store cards also, will those report next month? Should i keep them at Zero ? 

I guess my question is, what should i pay down? Most people say to pay all cards to ZERO and leave 1 card with 9% or less. 

This will be the first month where my balance will be reported Less. I have always carried a balance in everything.

Thanks in advance.

My goal 630/650 range by May 2015
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Card Utilization Questions.. Please Help..

Credit one will NEVER report with a zero balance...they bill your annual fee (monthly) as they cut the statement.

If you can, and they will, pay off BOTH First Premier cards and let them report a zero balance.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 4
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Oops.  And yes, Fingerhut counts as a credit card account.  Pay it off too.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3 of 4
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

As FICO calculations go a credit card is a credit card.  I have seen some mentions that some lender's internal score models do not give as much weight to a proprietary or store card as it does to a "major" credit card.  I don't know if this is true or not but makes sense.  As far as getting Credit One to report a zero balance they say you can pay the monthly card fee from your bank account  online if you time it just right.  I plan on trying this, this month.  It is annoying that the card always reports a balance.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.