Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card and Store Card Utility

tag
misfit928
New Contributor

Credit Card and Store Card Utility

I have currently have 2 unsecured bank credit cards and 1 Jared store card. I only have a balance($495) on the Jared card which has about a 9% utility. Does the utility of a store card have a less effect on the FICO score then a bank credit card would? 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Card and Store Card Utility

I don't think it makes any difference.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 22
Guava
Established Contributor

I'm guessing by "utility" you probably mean "utilization"; on that assumption, there's no difference in having balance on a bank card or a store card. 

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Guava wrote:

I'm guessing by "utility" you probably mean "utilization"; on that assumption, there's no difference in having balance on a bank card or a store card. 

Revolving utilization is all the same. This is incorrect. See my update in message # 6 of this thread.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as it reports, there's no real difference. I'm relatively sure a Jared card reports your CL and all the other info to the CRAs, so it doesn't matter whcih card you use.

The only difference is with 'store cards' like Newegg/Tigerdirect preferred accounts that don't really report anything unless you get late payments. If it doesn't report your CL or a balance, it obviously doesn't affect your utilization.

But if it shows up on your credit report, then a card is a card, and utilization is utilization.

Message 5 of 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

UPDATE.

I just found out I was wrong in my first statement. This from myFICO: The score gives less weight to retail card util than bankcards.

I apologize for my big mistake.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 22
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@MarineVietVet wrote:

UPDATE.

I just found out I was wrong in my first statement. This from myFICO: The score gives less weight to retail card util than bankcards.

From a BK years ago to:

Correct! We have a winner!Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 22
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

UPDATE.

From a BK years ago to:

How much less weight?   Any idea?    How about a link to article?

Message 8 of 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Wolf3 wrote:

I'll try to see if there is a definitive answer about this. It might be the usual YMMV.

There is no article or link. Just someone high up in the food chain.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 9 of 22
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

I'll try to see if there is a definitive answer about this. It might be the usual YMMV.

There is no article or link. Just someone high up in the food chain.

From a BK years ago to:

Here is another question, I've wondered about.     How important is the single highest utilization card versus the overall utilization? 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.