Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card use

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

Credit Card use

So I now have multiple cards totally 84.6k and i' ve heard of cards being closed involuntarily .   How do some of you use your multiple credit cards to keep them active and at what point will the lender close your card due to inactivity??  Thanks for any input or advice!!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card use

For my cards that I want to keep, I put them on life support by setting up a yearly or bi-annual payment to charities that I support. Most offer recurring payment plans.

Message 2 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@babbles wrote:

So I now have multiple cards totally 84.6k and i' ve heard of cards being closed involuntarily .   How do some of you use your multiple credit cards to keep them active and at what point will the lender close your card due to inactivity??  Thanks for any input or advice!!

1. I try to use each card at least once each month.

2. I keep a record of my accounts, so I don't lose track of upcoming payment dates and closing dates.

3. Lenders differ on their tolerance for total inactivity, but I'm a nervous sort of person so I don't test it; I just make sure I use it once a month. Generally it seems most lenders fall into the 3 month to 6 month range before they start getting testy, or worse.

4. I get rid of cards I have no use for, so it's not really difficult for me to use the ones I have, since I have each of them for a reason.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 14
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

It depends on the card issuer and I think to a lesser degree on your credit history (more leeway in the latter case if you have a longer, stronger history).  Most issuers will consider closing cards after 12 or more months of inactivity, but some issuers will do so after 6 months or even less.  Additionally some issuers will send you a warning email that they will close your card if you don't use it (as an example, I know Bank of America does), while others will do so without warning.

One other thing I'll note is American Express is in my experience the most lax about closing cards.  I know both firsthand (i.e. myself) and secondhand people who have not used Amex cards for years and not had them closed.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 4 of 14
babbles
Established Contributor

e Re: Credit Card use

Nice! one thing about the AMEX card, I have one from NFCU and one from USAA but the one from USAA has a shorter statement cycle it seems, maybe not but I think that one is the one you have to pay off your balances that month, I didn't read the fine print well enough I guess and accured about $12 in interest on $213, it broke my, meant to zero it out before it cycled!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: e Re: Credit Card use

Every 3-4 months I hop on Amazon and throw $1 gift card reloads on each one I don't use regularly. 

Message 6 of 14
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

I always make at least one swipe a month on my low spend cards.

Now, I only have 5 cards, it's not a problem for me to spread around some spend but only heavily use 2 cards.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 7 of 14
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

Re: e Re: Credit Card use

@babbles wrote:

Nice! one thing about the AMEX card, I have one from NFCU and one from USAA but the one from USAA has a shorter statement cycle it seems, maybe not but I think that one is the one you have to pay off your balances that month, I didn't read the fine print well enough I guess and accured about $12 in interest on $213, it broke my, meant to zero it out before it cycled!

RE: American Express cards not being canceled, I'm referring to Amex issued cards not Amex network cards.

The issuer (i.e. financial institution issuing the card) makes the determination whether a card is canceled, not the network provider.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 8 of 14
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I couldn't care less if they go ahead and close my cards or not.

Since I have a TCL of close to $500k if they did close a few it might it easier for new apps. 

The only one that might close a card on me is Citi if I don't use it for a year. Its been a key card in my AoA calcuation since I've had it for 9 years compared to an average AoA of around 6. But I could live with out it at this point.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 9 of 14
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

Outside of putting small charges on them Periodically I have a couple of cards (Smallest limits)  I lend out to my Siblings who are not in the same position as me.....I added them as a authorized user so they can get the history and help there credit and then they use the card with the stipulation that they pay me back whatever they use within a 2 week period (Any mishaps ends the agreement) ...

I get extra cash back and they get to grow there credit and have some leverage to use themselves ...Just what I personally do to keep everything flowing with purpose ...

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.