Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit History Length Question

tag
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit History Length Question

@Beast26 wrote:

For a better starting line should I apply for the Amazon visa only after I've built a different card to a $5000+ credit line?  

Yes

Message 11 of 17
Beast26
Established Contributor

Ok I'll do that thanks!

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 12 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

You do not need to have a $5000 credit limit to get a Chase Amazon Prime Visa signature. All Chase Amazon Prime  Visa  are signature if you have Prime and are approved. Even $500 limits. When i was approved for mine i had a $1500 limit. Its not like normal signature cards.

Message 13 of 17
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Beast26 wrote:

For a better starting line should I apply for the Amazon visa only after I've built a different card to a $5000+ credit line?  

Many people in your situation are in a hurry to build a lot of credit lines and want higher limits.  The truth is that if you get a handful of good credit lines, use them regularly and responsibly, and manage your overall credit well for a few years, you'll get much better limits with the big banks than if you apply too quickly with a thin file.  My Fico Forums is littered with cases of members who pushed too hard-too fast and ended with lower limits or higher APRs.  And those low limits like the $200 to $500 ones you have now will be used as the benchmark other lenders know you can handle.  You could be stuck in low-limit hell.

The one-year mark with Chase is simply a minimum guideline but it depends on many profile factors.   It would help us to help you if you added some verbage to your signature for us to know your profile better.  What is your income?  What is your total debts?  Debt-to-income is a big concern for underwriters on more thin and unproven files.  @wasCB14's experience may or may not be an appropriate guideline.  For example, you don't know his credit factors, debts, or income at his time of approval for a CSP at 14 months credit history and a SL of $7.5K.  In my opinion, that is not something everyone can expect.  There is more to the story than meets the eye.  On the other hand, even as a Chase banking customer, he only got $600 on his inital SL card with Chase.  There are so many variables between us that we have to be careful about making comparisons and drawing expectations.

In other recent threads, you asked about PayPal Mastercard and Citi Double Cash.  I think PayPal Mastercard would be your best bet right now if you want a better card.  It gives you some better value than what you currently have and you stand a decent chance of approval, IMO.  However, I'd wait awhile on Citi or Chase banks.  They're in a different league than where you are now.  If you got approved at all, you might be very disappointed at the terms.  Sometimes, good things come to those who wait.  Smiley Happy

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 14 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@Beast26 wrote:

Many people in your situation are in a hurry to build a lot of credit lines and want higher limits.  The truth is that if you get a handful of good credit lines, use them regularly and responsibly, and manage your overall credit well for a few years, you'll get much better limits with the big banks than if you apply too quickly with a thin file.  My Fico Forums is littered with cases of members who pushed too hard-too fast and ended with lower limits or higher APRs.  And those low limits like the $200 to $500 ones you have now will be used as the benchmark other lenders know you can handle.  You could be stuck in low-limit hell.

The one-year mark with Chase is simply a minimum guideline but it depends on many profile factors.   It would help us to help you if you added some verbage to your signature for us to know your profile better.  What is your income?  What is your total debts?  Debt-to-income is a big concern for underwriters on more thin and unproven files.  @wasCB14's experience may or may not be an appropriate guideline.  For example, you don't know his credit factors, debts, or income at his time of approval for a CSP at 14 months credit history and a SL of $7.5K.  In my opinion, that is not something everyone can expect.  There is more to the story than meets the eye.  On the other hand, even as a Chase banking customer, he only got $600 on his inital SL card with Chase.  There are so many variables between us that we have to be careful about making comparisons and drawing expectations.

In other recent threads, you asked about PayPal Mastercard and Citi Double Cash.  I think PayPal Mastercard would be your best bet right now if you want a better card.  It gives you some better value than what you currently have and you stand a decent chance of approval, IMO.  However, I'd wait awhile on Citi or Chase banks.  They're in a different league than where you are now.  If you got approved at all, you might be very disappointed at the terms.  Sometimes, good things come to those who wait.  Smiley Happy

No installment history, PIF, no baddies, highest CL was $6k on a 5-month old BCE. Also had a 5-month old $4.5k Sallie Mae. Chase checking/savings balances were maybe $10k. I don't recall the income I used on the app (it varies and I try to be conservative in case I have to prove it) but probably mid 5 figures. No special treatment for once having investments there (that didn't emerge until later).

No pandemic or massive spike in unemployment, either. Lender risk appetite is not constant.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 17
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

... What is your income?  What is your total debts?  Debt-to-income is a big concern for underwriters on more thin and unproven files.  @wasCB14's experience may or may not be an appropriate guideline.  For example, you don't know his credit factors, debts, or income at his time of approval for a CSP at 14 months credit history and a SL of $7.5K.  In my opinion, that is not something everyone can expect.  There is more to the story than meets the eye.  On the other hand, even as a Chase banking customer, he only got $600 on his inital SL card with Chase.  There are so many variables between us that we have to be careful about making comparisons and drawing expectations.

No installment history, PIF, no baddies, highest CL was $6k on a 5-month old BCE. Also had a 5-month old $4.5k Sallie Mae. Chase checking/savings balances were maybe $10k. I don't recall the income I used on the app (it varies and I try to be conservative in case I have to prove it) but probably mid 5 figures. No special treatment for once having investments there (that didn't emerge until later).

No pandemic or massive spike in unemployment, either. Lender risk appetite is not constant.

Thanks for adding some data points.  I was mainly just trying to point out how profiles may differ widely but this may help.  So it sounds like you had no student loans, auto loans, mortgage debt?  Pretty good (national household average) income already, probably as a 20-something?    And $10K or so in bank balances?  Plus another credit card with $4.5K limit already.  So, I see a lot of potential differences in profile, depending on @Beast26 's situation.   And as you mention, current economic times put a whole different perspective on things. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 16 of 17
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@Beast26 wrote:

My revolving history with credit cards will reach the year mark on August 28, 2020.  When I look at my credit history on Experian, or myfico my history always age a month in advanced.  For example I started my revolving history in August 28, 2019.  But every month on the 1st It automatically rounds up my history length by a month ahead.  On August 1, 2020 my credit history will say it has reached 1 year even though it won't actually be at the year mark until the 28th of August. 

I'm asking this technical question because I'm wondering if I could get a chase card on August 1st since technically the credit websites will round up my revolving history to 1 year old?

Regarding applying for chase, I'll wait until the 28th because defferent issuers may consider your credit age defferently. One issuer may round everything up to the nearest month while another may not round. So you are better off waiting for your best chance!

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.