Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score Question

Note that the current month is December. I opened my first credit card last January and then I was decline for a sears mastercard in march. However I was able to open a USBank Visa a few days later in march. Then I opened a macy's card in May. In October I was upgraded to a USBank Platinum Mastercard. Then in November I upgraded to a macy's visa with subsequently opened me another credit account (one for macy's purchases and one for visa purchases). Then towards the end of November I opened a Old Navy Visa. My question is that I like to use my cards instead of cash, checks and my debit card. I always pay my accounts in full well before the due date but I don't like to have them all because I worry that I will forget about one of them or I will get it stolen and not realize. However I keep them all open so that I have the available credit line open incase I would ever have an issue with one of my cards or I want to make a big purchase. To end my dilemas I was thinking about opening a Bank of America Visa Signature card which would have a lower interest rate in case I would ever have to carry a balance and it would come with a much higher limit. I am wondering if this would be a good bank to go with and a good idea. Please give me all input I am not sure what to do. I am also wondering how long to wait (months) I realize that I have a lot of inquires so how long should I wait until I apply. I am also a student, but I do have a job.
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Score Question

BOFA is considered a Prime bank thought some of our memebrshave had less than stellar experiences with them.  Might I suggest you invest in some financial management software such as Quicken or Microsoft Money?  I find that these types of interventions do wonders for me as far as keeping me on track.

My question to you:  Were you auto-upgraded to the Macy's Visa or did you reapp?

BTW, your score smay take asmall hit but it looks as if your file isrelatively young.  Its best to establish your credit andthen let it age.  Jsut don't app for this many new cards a year.

Message Edited by Brammy on 12-01-2007 09:08 PM
Message 2 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Visa Signature cards dont show credit limits on credit reports
so it kinda makes it hard to improve credit scores some people say max out the card and pay it back but not everyone can do that

their are some really good starter cards from bank of america student card, I can help on find the best one for ya

Citibank has some great student cards also mabe get in with these guys and you can get a sears card citibank also runs their credit cardsSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 37
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

jmtbeamer wrote: I always pay my accounts in full well before the due date but I don't like to have them all because I worry that I will forget about one of them or I will get it stolen and not realize. However I keep them all open so that I have the available credit line open in case I would ever have an issue with one of my cards or I want to make a big purchase.
That's great that you're paying before your due date, but it will help your scores even more if you pay before the statement date, so that a lower balance reports. This involves keeping an eye on your accounts on line.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was auto-upgraded for the macys card with a 4000.00 limit. I called and accepted the offer. I want the Bank of America Signature card for the nice credit line and the world points rewards with no annual fee. I am curious if there is a better card out there than the Bank of America Signature card...I like what it has to offer and the rewards it comes with. Plus the no annual fee is great. I have heard that some Signature cards report and some don't report so I will definitely check on that. Does anyone else have a Bank of America Signature card?? Are there any other cards that would be better??

Message Edited by jmtbeamer on 12-01-2007 06:52 PM
Message 5 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

jmtbeamer wrote:
I was auto-upgraded for the macys card with a 4000.00 limit. I called and accepted the offer. I want the Bank of America Signature card for the nice credit line and the world points rewards with no annual fee. I am curious if there is a better card out there than the Bank of America Signature card...I like what it has to offer and the rewards it comes with. Plus the no annual fee is great. I have heard that some Signature cards report and some don't report so I will definitely check on that. Does anyone else have a Bank of America Signature card?? Are there any other cards that would be better??

Message Edited by jmtbeamer on 12-01-2007 06:52 PM

Sorry to have so many questions but I just got this card.  What was your spending like?  Did you hav the Red or the Gold?  What was your limit before the upgrade?

Message 6 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Alaska Air Signature card has been pretty easy to get, I got it when I had a fico of 640 or so started with $6000 big onesSmiley Happy and you get 20,000 miles free and a 2000 free every year after that also a $50 companion pass  every year

if you get it and dont like it convert it to a basic Signature card
Message 7 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I opened my macys card back in march and because I am 18 they gave me a 200 limit. Then when I was offered the visa I accepted and my visa limit was 4000.00. I also have the lowest visa interest rate the macys offers 20.15% I am a red card memeber just because I never use my card. lol.
Message 8 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL!!  so thats the trick?  Never use it!!! I opened mine in Sept and was Gold before Red Arrived in the mail...lol!!!  Approved for a 800.00 limit I'll see what they do in March...lol!!!
Message 9 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I would do the alaska card but I never fly that airline. I primarily fly northwest. but can the points be transferred to American Airlines? Also what if any is the annual fee?
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.