cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score max

tag
screwcredit

Credit Score max

I need some advice, I am planning to look at some apartment next month.

A month ago, my score was 698 Transunion, 670 Experian and 650 Equifax. I had an emergency which I had to charge my credit card to the max. My credit score drop below 600. Is it possible to bring my credit score up again. My credit card bills are due on Oct 8 and Oct 12. Is it better to pay both credit cards off or pay 80% to boost my credit score again. Do it take 30 days to boost my score? Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Score max

If these are the only two cards, pay one of them off completely so that it reports $0 on the next statement.

On the other card, pay off the full old balance, and some portion of the current purchases (not billed yet) so that the statement reports 1-9% of the credit limit.

This strategy will get you max benefit.

If you can't pay all of that, at least make one card zero and the other less than 20% of credit limit.

Message 2 of 5
taxi818
Super Contributor

@screwcredit wrote:

A month ago, my score was 698 Transunion, 670 Experian and 650 Equifax. I had an emergency which I had to charge my credit card to the max. My credit score drop below 600. Is it possible to bring my credit score up again. My credit card bills are due on Oct 8 and Oct 12. Is it better to pay both credit cards off or pay 80% to boost my credit score again. Do it take 30 days to boost my score? Thanks.

no it does not take 30 days.

That is what credit cards are for. in case you got emergency.

The good thing is . utilization has no memory.

i say just pay 1 completely off.

and the other card pay all except about 5 percent.

and your scores will be higher than before in fact.

It will only go up. after your due date. statement date.

The date the banks report to the credit bureau. so what ever date that is . is when your scores will go back up. and you will be really ok.

Message 3 of 5
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@screwcredit wrote:

Your FICO score is just a snapshot of your credit profile at a given time.   When the information on the report changes, your score will change; FICO has no "memory."   UTIL is an easy fix; once your CCCs report the lowered UTIL, your score will improve.

Ideal FICO scoring is <10% UTIL overall and on each card (but more than zero).   It's also higher if less than half of your TLs have balances (some even just suggest one CC with a balance and the rest at zero).

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 5
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@screwcredit wrote:

Try to get one credit card to report 1% - 9% and the rest of them report 0%. You have to figure out what date each card reports to the credit bureaus and pay off each cards a few days before that. For some credit cards that will be approximately the date that the new statements are created. For others it will be a different date (example: US Bank and ELAN cards report your balance near the last day of the month).

Once the new balances are reporting, your FICO scores will be based on those current values.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.