Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score vs income?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit score vs income?

I have a capital one card with a $500 limit that I have had for three years and they have never raised my credit line and denied my requests to do so. I also get no rewards. I have two other store credit cards with a 0 balance and a limit of 1100, and 1500. I never use those store cards so even if I were to max my capital one credit card I would still only be using 15% of my total credit. I have a credit rating of 750 but only make about $8000 a year, most of my money is made from student grants and scholarships. I am interested in getting a credit card with a higher credit line and perhaps some benefits. I am not looking to max anything out, I just want that cushion in case I ever find myself in a financial emergency. Would I be able to get a credit card with my credit score but low income? Do you have any recommendations such as blue cash AMEX? Should I list my pell grants as income? Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
amp0804
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit score vs income?

I'll try to help you out since no one has responded yet. You can try Amex, maybe blue or blue cash? As far as your income I don't see why you can't list your loans and grants. You are technically using that money to live so all in all it is income. I listed mine as income when I was in school. As far as capital one? I have had a capital one card for 6 years and never received a cli. To this day my limit stays at $500. Some people get lucky.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea ..I always had this question as I too have low income but I'm still studying and working part time (10,000) a year but since I just started my credit unlike The OP I was waiting for after six months to ask this.
Message 3 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

While I couldn't say for sure, I don't think loans or grants count as income. 

No idea whether you would be approved for Amex as I don't think I understand this stuff well enough to guess, but your scores seem fine.  Try their preapproval link and see if you come up with anything.

You could also look at a student card. 

Basically, I don't think you should be trying to fudge your numbers to get a higher CL.  Just find a good student card (or Amex or whatever) that will grow with you.  Doesn't sound like you really need the higher CL right now anyway.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Walt_K wrote:

While I couldn't say for sure, I don't think loans or grants count as income. 

No idea whether you would be approved for Amex as I don't think I understand this stuff well enough to guess, but your scores seem fine.  Try their preapproval link and see if you come up with anything.

You could also look at a student card. 

Basically, I don't think you should be trying to fudge your numbers to get a higher CL.  Just find a good student card (or Amex or whatever) that will grow with you.  Doesn't sound like you really need the higher CL right now anyway.

+1            

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.