Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU?

tag
CardinalRules
New Contributor

Re: DCU?

To get the free EQ FICO score you have to meet two out of the three requirements for Checking Plus, which are:

1. Direct deposit your net pay, Social Security, or pension to your checking account
  2. Receive all your DCU statements electronically
  3. Have an active loan with DCU (such as a DCU Visa Credit Card)

However, if you're under 23 they waive the direct deposit requirement, and if you're over 65 the waive the electronic statements requirement. If you fall into those groups, you just need to fulfill one requirement. It seems that other people have received free FICO score without meeting these requirements, so it looks like they can be pretty lenient.

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 21 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CardinalRules wrote:

To get the free EQ FICO score you have to meet two out of the three requirements for Checking Plus, which are:

1. Direct deposit your net pay, Social Security, or pension to your checking account
  2. Receive all your DCU statements electronically
  3. Have an active loan with DCU (such as a DCU Visa Credit Card)

However, if you're under 23 they waive the direct deposit requirement, and if you're over 65 the waive the electronic statements requirement. If you fall into those groups, you just need to fulfill one requirement. It seems that other people have received free FICO score without meeting these requirements, so it looks like they can be pretty lenient.

That's their quoted policy, but it doesn't seem to be followed.  

When I re-activated my membership (hey they see me now as having banked with them for 12 years!), I had the message in my inbox already for activating the freebie EQ score.  This is without ever having a loan through them, and I actually got the score before I applied for the secured card I have now through them.

As Crashem suggests, because what you quoted is their stated policy, they may change this at any time if it becomes uneconomical for them; however, I probably wouldn't have bothered re-opening my account if I hadn't found out about their freebie score, and they've subsquently gotten both a credit card and an auto loan through my business with them.  It's their only special draw, but if they get any of your business, they have a chance to compete to give you various other products later... and as a loss leader, well it worked for me absolutely.

All things considered I've been really pleased with them; I have no complaints other than the amount of documentation they wanted for my secured credit card Smiley Happy.

        
Message 22 of 23
Crashem
Valued Contributor

DCU is good CU.  As replacement bank, they do good job.  But your right, kind of vanilla with their products.  They used to be more aggressive with lending, but I think 2008 cured them of that.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.