Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Death and credit cards.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Death and credit cards.

If it's REALLY that important to you, you could include a provision in a will/trust to have someone or some service....to simply call 'this list of companies' and
Y'all know he's in the upper room now, right?

Or instruct a law office or some service to mail the
I'm Dead the check ain't coming never no mo announcement letters you can write for each vendor.

As a matter of fact that's a great idea, every time we open an account we should also write the I'm Gone announcement for when the time comes, talk about smiling on the way out😂
Message 11 of 16
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

I was going to suggest same thing as above poster. Keep a list of your credit card companies and their phone numbers with your burial information. The person handling your affairs will then have a current list of companies to call. You can also have your attorney do this if that is who will be handling your affairs.

Message 12 of 16
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Benzman wrote:

I know I shouldn't worry, but it has had me thinking constantly since the discussion with my friend. Like UncleB said and what I originally thought, Social Security would notify them, but as in the situation with my friends dad, no companies closed except for Discover until the call was made to all. I would hate to think someone out there could go an use my cards and rack up debt in my name after I am dead.

I know, i'm stupid. Smiley Indifferent

I actually started weeding some cards tonight that I don't use often.

Youre not stupid, and there are no stupid questions here on the forums. Thats actually a very legitmate question, and Im sure others reading this thread were interested as well...(thats why I clicked on this thread).  Ive wondered about this myself. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good question. I'd def cut down on the amount of cards I had. Makes it easier for whoever is going to take care of this post death. Who wants to call 10 different cc companies and deal with their reps!

Message 14 of 16
Samac
Regular Contributor

If I'm dead I don't really care. If someone gets ahold of them I hope they get tons of fun stuff I would approve of.
Message 15 of 16
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

When you pass away as soon as the government is notified the Social Security 'Death Master File' is updated and your social security number is 'noted' as belonging to someone who is deceased.  This is how some banks will be aware of a death even before being notified by next-of-kin.

Here's the wiki article on it:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Master_File

I'll also add that if somebody makes a typo when entering information about a decedent it can be a real headache if the mis-typed number belongs to someone still living.  This actually happened to my own father a while back.  Smiley Frustrated

Not something I've thought about being younger, but this info you provided UncleB interesting to know, just because. But to the OP, I'd rather not worry about it. Life is too short and time goes too fast to use some of it being concerned with it.  Not that the thought is bad at all.  Just enjoy what you have now!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.