Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell financing

tag
Volpes
Regular Contributor

Dell financing

Does anyone know what criteria is looked at for Dell financing?

I need want to get rid of my current computer.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Dell financing

I am not sure about the requirements for Dell but I have heard horror stories about them. Have you thought about maybe a Best Buy card with 0%? If you are planning on building the computer then it wouldnt be a great idea but if you are just buying a production laptop, it could work.

Sorry I couldn't help more

Message 2 of 20
Volpes
Regular Contributor

I already have a BB MasterCard (HSBC/Cap1 holding).. haha

I just paid it off two weeks ago, but with Dell I would get 0% interest (I think?) vs. the 20.4% on my BB card. One of my goals is to stop paying interest on CCs, unless its an emergency.

I was looking at this:

http://www.fatwallet.com/Dell-Consumer-coupons/code-685002/

but the Dell website gives me an error/invalid message for the coupon code Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 20
Volpes
Regular Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

I am not sure about the requirements for Dell but I have heard horror stories about them. Have you thought about maybe a Best Buy card with 0%? If you are planning on building the computer then it wouldnt be a great idea but if you are just buying a production laptop, it could work.

You actually did help, you reminded me that BB's 0% interest isn't introductory but rather a cardholder feature!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/null/pcmcat163300050048.c?id=pcmcat163300050048

18 months 0%. . . does anybody else even do that?

Message 4 of 20
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Volpes wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

You actually did help, you reminded me that BB's 0% interest isn't introductory but rather a cardholder feature!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/null/pcmcat163300050048.c?id=pcmcat163300050048

18 months 0%. . . does anybody else even do that?

Hey, I inadvertantly helped, lol. 

I also forgot that it is a cardholder feature vs intro period. Just remember that if it is not paid off in the 18 months or however time is 0%, then they can and will tack on the back interest. ALL the back interest. 

Message 5 of 20
Volpes
Regular Contributor

This is actually a good opportunity for me to call them and request a CLI. Its at $950, plenty of room, however I want to keep it at least under 50% utilized. I tried the "request credit limit increase" linked online, but it gives me some weird message about making sure to activate my card.

Message 6 of 20
azguy13
Senior Contributor

It's a great opportunity. I would explain the situation to them and how you are planning on making a large purchase. You could even embelish a little bit if you want to try and get a larger CLI. Either way, good thinking ahead for wanting to keep it below 50%

Message 7 of 20
randeman
Frequent Contributor

A couple of years ago, they gave me $2000 on a very thin file.  At 29.99%.  They gave me six months interest free.  I took it, bought a lap top, paid it off in six months, bought an MP3 player, paid it off in a month.  Didn't use it again and four or so months ago they sent me a letter saying that since I hadn't used my account, they were reducing my limit to $500.  If I didn't use it again within a month, they said they would close the account.  I didn't need the month; buh-bye, Dell!

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 8 of 20
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@randeman wrote:

A couple of years ago, they gave me $2000 on a very thin file.  At 29.99%.  They gave me six months interest free.  I took it, bought a lap top, paid it off in six months, bought an MP3 player, paid it off in a month.  Didn't use it again and four or so months ago they sent me a letter saying that since I hadn't used my account, they were reducing my limit to $500.  If I didn't use it again within a month, they said they would close the account.  I didn't need the month; buh-bye, Dell!

This is yet another horror story I have heard about Dell. Sounds like Best Buy is the way to go!

Message 9 of 20
Volpes
Regular Contributor

Wow, and I thought Kohls was bad; they closed my account while I was overseas (8 months). Stinks because it says "closed by credit grantor" on my report(s), and I can't go into a Kohls store anymore because the cashier always ask if I have/want a Kohls card - it brings back bad memories.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.