Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta/Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delta/Amex

Hi All,

First time poster here. I have been reading a lot of the forums lately as I am looking to apply for a DELTA AMEX. Do I start with Delta Gold or can I dive in with Platinum or Reserve? My scores are 759TU, 671EQUIFAX (which should jump up here shortly and then I will apply). I am only an authorized user on Cards(3 to be exact all sititng at 1% usage $53 out of $7650), but have an AUTO, SL and Mortgage of my own. All in good standing! This summer I had 2 accounts in collections that I paid off and consolidated the SL, and the credit scores have been going up and up. Or should I wait longer for better approval odds? I have 8 inquieries in the last 2 years. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Delta/Amex

Hello @Anonymous, welcome to the forums.

Have you checked the AmEx prequal portal to see whether any offers are available?

What type of accounts did you have in collections?
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just want to add in addition to @FinStar , you don't have to start at Gold....you can jump right in 😁

Message 3 of 16
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi and welcome

Do you have any cards of your own (not an AU)?

Are these FICO scores? If yes, what is the EX score? If no, we need your FICO scores to gauge your credit profile.

Why is there such a huge difference in the 2 scores you provided?

How many inqs do you have in last 3/6/12 month period?

Were they declined applications? If yes, for what CCs?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like scores from Credit Karma. OP, you can disregard those completely. Go to Discover Scorecard and get your EX FICO score. That’s what Amex uses 99% of the time. Reply with that and the info requested above and we can likely help you better.
Message 5 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

+1 your Experian FICO 08 score is the only one that will matter to Amex.  You can certainly jump right in with Platinum or Reserve as long as your profile and income support them.  Go for the card that serves you best and be sure to get the best Welcome Offer you can as they are once in a lifetime.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

what makes these delta cards better than something like the amex gold or cap1 venture where it's got travel redemption for any carrier? i haven't looked into these kind of cards at all.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Checked the prequal and Platinum and Gold pop up. 

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Went with the Discover Scorecard EX FICO is 645. Showing only 2 inquiries in the last 12 months on the Scorecard Site. No Cards of my own. Difference in scores was from Credit Karma.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any insight to the profile and salary that support each tier? Want to apply for the card I am most likely to be approved for.

@K-in-Boston wrote:

+1 your Experian FICO 08 score is the only one that will matter to Amex.  You can certainly jump right in with Platinum or Reserve as long as your profile and income support them.  Go for the card that serves you best and be sure to get the best Welcome Offer you can as they are once in a lifetime.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.