Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derog Vs. 80% util?

tag
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

Derog Vs. 80% util?

Would it be better keep a derog on my report or pay it using a credit card and use up  alot of the Utilization on the card I would usr to pay it off?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Derog Vs. 80% util?

what is the derog and how old is it?
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on if paying off the derog removes it, how old the derog is, and whether it's your most recent derog.

If paying off the derog doesn't remove it, there's not much value to be had in paying it off.

If the derog is less than three years old (90 day late or more) or less than two years old (30-60 day late) AND you have a PFD AND the derog is your most recent, then yes, I'd say it's worth taking the utilization hit. Utilization hits are easy to recover from--just pay down the balance over the next few months and your score will recover.

OTOH, if the derog is five years old and you have a more recent derog, even removing it from your file isn't going to help very much.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

laryn41 wrote:
Would it be better keep a derog on my report or pay it using a credit card and use up  alot of the Utilization on the card I would usr to pay it off?

I am not sure if you are referring to a collection or not, but if so, it will stay on your report even if you pay it. 

"The presence of...collections are powerful predictors of future payment risk. If these are valid...paying off the collection will not remove them from your credit report. The fact that they occurred is still predictive of future payment risk and will be considered by your FICO score." MYFICO.com

Will they accept a PFD? And if so, how fast could you pay down the card afterwards?
Message 4 of 8
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

It is afni and it is 1600 and it is from 04
Message 5 of 8
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

it is a collection.
Message 6 of 8
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

That is my only derog.
Message 7 of 8
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

Message Edited by SpecFile on 09-03-2007 02:28 PM
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.