Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deserve credit card - should I get it?

tag
folks19
Frequent Contributor

Deserve credit card - should I get it?

I'm thinking of applying for the Deserve credit card for students. All my scores are around 700. Is that a good idea? Is there anything I should be aware of? Has anyone got denied for this card? What was the reason?

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Deserve credit card - should I get it?

I would strongly push for you to look at something like the student card from Discover. I don't know Deserve, but I do know Disco is solid and has the potential to be a long-term keeper which can grow well with you.

Message 2 of 25
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would strongly push for you to look at something like the student card from Discover. I don't know Deserve, but I do know Disco is solid and has the potential to be a long-term keeper which can grow well with you.

Thanks. I agree about Discover being amazing. The thing is that because they are so good, I already have one! I was actually thinking of getting another Discover card, but I have to wait a year from the time I got my first card.

Deserve is a card designed for students, and especially international students without an SSN and credit history. I'm not an international student, but I am a domestic student, and I'm not employed, so I'm looking in to different options for students without regular employment.

Message 3 of 25
blindambition
Senior Contributor

You Deserve better options. Take the advice from @Anonymous!

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deserve wants to have ongoing access to your bank account balance and transactions through Plaid which is a bit too much for a credit card if you ask me. 

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed with Saeren. I'd have a very hard time giving Amex account access for my beloved Gold card, let alone something like this. There are other major lenders that offer student cards - I'd look into those.

Message 6 of 25
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Agreed with Saeren. I'd have a very hard time giving Amex account access for my beloved Gold card, let alone something like this. There are other major lenders that offer student cards - I'd look into those.

What card would you reccomend?

Message 7 of 25
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@folks19 I don't know if it's still a good deal now, but I opened a Cap1 Student card (Journey?) in 2013 with lower scores and income. My SL was 1k but CL grew and I converted it to a QS I combined it with a credit steps ($750) MC and I've been sitting at $7750 for the last few years. 

I suggest you do a little research and see if it will work for you. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 25
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@newmomnewme wrote:

@folks19 I don't know if it's still a good deal now, but I opened a Cap1 Student card (Journey?) in 2013 with lower scores and income. My SL was 1k but CL grew and I converted it to a QS I combined it with a credit steps ($750) MC and I've been sitting at $7750 for the last few years. 

I suggest you do a little research and see if it will work for you. 

Thank you! I would consider that card, but I know that Capital 1 pulls all 3 credit reports, which is something that I'm a bit worried about. If I knew I was likely to get approved, I would do it, but I have don't know if that's the case, and things can be moe strict with the pandemic.

I know it was a long time ago, but what was your score when you applied? Also, what did you put down as your income?

Message 9 of 25
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

It was years ago and no global pandemic and my scores were mid 600s. I was working only in summers so put 6-8k for income. I hate that they pull all three too! 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.