cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between prime and subprime?

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Difference between prime and subprime?

@krushin84 wrote:
New to the forums and couple things stuck out at me. I dont the difference between prime and sub prime. Looking for advice.

Recently my Amex blue cash card has been up to. 12k. Have a capital one card that's at 6.5k but no sure if It's that
High cuz they kept the cl that chase was using. Also have a 6.5k on HSBC. Now that capital one has bought HSBC should I be lookin to dump my cap one cards? I been forced into capital one cards never applied to them. I had a Sony rewards chase card that turn into a capital one card.

Prime cardfs are cards that have great rewards, high CL's, in most cases no AF's, and will grow with you. Do your current cards fit this bill?? I would say for sure your AMEX is.

Do the Cap 1 cards have:

-AF's?

-Good rewards?

-have they incresed the lines any?

Those are some of the things to think about before axing a card.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 11 of 26
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

If you can regularly qualify with a score beneath 680 = subprime.  And that's a pretty arbitrary figure these days too.

You can't really call many lenders prime or subprime these days, anyone prime only is moving into subprime (see: Amex Zync) faster than, insert your own overly colorful euphemism here.

Amex Zync = subprime.  Amex BC Anything = prime

Chase Freedom = subprime *and* prime, Chase Sapphire = Prime

Discover More = subprime.

These cards have plenty of rewards, some have AF's, some don't, and the line is blurring all the time.  I have a 5K BOFA 1-2-3 rewards card... prime or subprime?  Without the information that it's secured, it's probably prime; however, it is secured = subprime, yet still a good card.  

The whole distinction is really pretty moot: that Orchard card tcfobade has: originally subprime no doubt, and now with a most excellent reward tacked on to it (2% on ALL SPENDING), which I don't know of any other lender matching, including the big 5ish.

I wouldn't call AMEX Zync subprime. It's AF is low compared to others and its a charge card. The rewards arent on the same level as other AMEX charge cards but it's decent.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 26
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I think of subprime as a card that is targeted toward a subprime market of consumers.  In order to mitigate the inherent risk in issuing credit to this subprime market, these lenders compensate by imposing high fees and interest rates, low credit limits, and usually no rewards.  These lenders have their place and it is often the only way for consumers with subprime credit ratings to build a history sans going the secured route.  These cards are not meant to be kept forever, especially after a consumers credit rating becomes 'prime' for the big banks goals of issuing significant credit to quality clientele.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 13 of 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@LS2982 wrote:

I wouldn't call AMEX Zync subprime. It's AF is low compared to others and its a charge card. The rewards arent on the same level as other AMEX charge cards but it's decent.

It's designed as a product for people with six months history (students), or one for people recovering from prior credit issues.  With a rough 640 FICO requirement, and being able to qualify for one as a near thin-file, how is it prime? Smiley Happy

By a pure FICO measurement, I could assert none of the Amex charge cards are prime.

        
Message 14 of 26
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

It's designed as a product for people with six months history (students), or one for people recovering from prior credit issues.  With a rough 640 FICO requirement, and being able to qualify for one as a near thin-file, how is it prime? Smiley Happy

By a pure FICO measurement, I could assert none of the Amex charge cards are prime.

The ones that get approved with a 640 are more than likely the ones with hard limit/autopay tacked on to it. AMEX is a prime lender to me no matter what the card is. It may not be to others but thats perfectly fine. It felt extremely good to get in with them with a 700 score when they declined me twice with a 640 and and 670.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 26
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

That's a pretty low bar you have set. Some people with 700+ FICO scores have 6 months of personal credit history combined with 30 years of piggybacked credit as an AU. Plus, I read of BOA, Discover and Citi giving people with 640 FICOs their "prime" products. To disparage AMEX Zync is to label the others "sub-prime" as well.

IMO, AMEX is prime...period.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 16 of 26
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

The ones that get approved with a 640 are more than likely the ones with hard limit/autopay tacked on to it. AMEX is a prime lender to me no matter what the card is. It may not be to others but thats perfectly fine. It felt extremely good to get in with them with a 700 score when they declined me twice with a 640 and and 670.

Heck, AMEX won't let me in with 700+ FICO scores and AAoA of 10 years and no lates due to a BK7 over piles of medical bills that would have destroyed my financial life (but saved my son's life). I'd say that's a prime lender any way you slice it.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 17 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Wolf3 wrote:

There is no official distinction, it is in the eyes of the CC holder.   If you think the CC terms are good for your credit situation, that would be prime for you, if you consider them bad for you, it is subprime.

If you don't like your Capital One, close them.   Closing them because someone else thinks they are sub prime is a silly reason. 

I agree. It all comes down to personal opnion and where you are in your credit journey.

Message 18 of 26
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Difference between prime and sub-prime?

Zync with Hard limit 250/500 my be the bottom of the list prime card but a  ZYNC NPSL most definitely is a prime card, I dare you to find a sub-prime card that will grow your limit to $3500 in 11 months? And mine is probably higher and the Max I have ran through mine is about $1100... Typical month is $600. Others here have pushed 2-3k and have much higher limits even with sub 700 ficos. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 19 of 26
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

So the AMEX Platinum w/ $450 AF is not a prime card?

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.